Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

William Lee

Join
Aug 23, 2017
Hello,

I got a Spark as my very first drone two days ago, It was raining when I received the drone and as I had waited half my life for this moment I decided to fly it in my Dad's automotive shop. I put the prop guards on,
flew it for about ten minutes and everything went fine. I was putting it away and when taking of the first prop guard my LED cover broke off at the screws. After assessing the damage I carefully took the other three guards off with no problem (Dji is in the process of sending me a new part).

It wasn't until the next day that I realised two guards are for the front and two are for the back!
Believe me, i have been researching the Spark ever since it came out! And in no tutorials or manuals did I see something say that two are for the front and two are for the back!

Would putting on the wrong prop guard cause the led cover to break off at the screws?
And has anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks, William

Yes, the props and prop guards are "handed" and marked with white dots. You should only fit white dot items to white dot positions and vice versa

I would say yes when I see how much extra force is needed to put them on the wrong arm. It will have given high stress on the LED cover.
Also it is the same for the propellers, white dot and no dot. They have to be placed on the correct motor.
Also you can check this video
about prop guards, I have seen only there explanation about them. Maybe you can have a look on their Spark playlist, that gives additional info to the user manual.

I've noticed it doesn't feel right when putting the prop guards on the incorrect position. Luckily I didn't try to force it.

But I did have had one LED cover came off due to a bad hand launch plus a gust of wind, the Spark hit concrete. I managed to super-glue it back without problem. Now my Spark has a few battle scars.

Reactions: William Lee
It wasn't until the next day that I realised two guards are for the front and two are for the back!

Not correct. They are like an X, one in the left front and the other at the right back, not front and back the same guards.

Reactions: Kevkiwi
Hello,

I got a Spark as my very first drone two days ago, It was raining when I received the drone and as I had waited half my life for this moment I decided to fly it in my Dad's automotive shop. I put the prop guards on,
flew it for about ten minutes and everything went fine. I was putting it away and when taking of the first prop guard my LED cover broke off at the screws. After assessing the damage I carefully took the other three guards off with no problem (Dji is in the process of sending me a new part).

Believe me, i have been researching the Spark ever since it came out! And in no tutorials or manuals did I see something say that two are for the front and two are for the back!

Would putting on the wrong prop guard cause the led cover to break off at the screws?

Thanks, William
Yes, same thing happened to me. Took it back to the DJI store, and they fixed it in 5 min, free of charge.

i didnt know about the white dots until recently. But i do know that it is not one prop guard for all. And no it is not two front two back, its diagonally paired. Just look at the white dots on the props, match it with white dots on prop guards.

Reactions: William Lee
Yes, same thing happened to me. Took it back to the DJI store, and they fixed it in 5 min, free of charge.
Yeah, I got mine online so they are in the process of sending me a new one.
Meanwhile I used some liquid rubber gasket maker to hold it on temporarily, it seems to be working pretty well.

I managed to strip off the LED cover today too - first flight! Upon closer inspection, yes the LED covers have small plastic bump, which is supposed to line up with the appropriate prop guard opening.

If you use the wrong prop guard, it will mean the hole does not line up with the bump properly, and the act of twisting them off can twist off the entire LED cover!

I am happy to see others have fixed this with some super glue and there have been no problems, I'll get that done tonight. I'm going to be using my spark heavily, so I am guessing this is only the first of many bumps and scratches and broken bits that I'll have to fix up!

Hello,

Thanks, William
Me too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme