Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Stitching HDR sphere panoramas

kbfifi

Join
Nov 17, 2017
Hi all,

I'm using the new sphere panorama feature and noticed the different exposure needs for capturing a nice sky and ground at the same time. I came up with the following way of work:
- lock exposure on sky and shoot the sphere
- lock exposure on ground and shoot the spere (using the same starting position)
- Using AutoStitch (Windows) : Select all pictures (of both captures)
- Now AutoStitch has combined them and you get a very reasoneable spere pano!

Any other recommendations/tools/shooting steps?

Reactions: Rimon_591
Microsoft ICE 2.0 - Image Composition Editor.
Does a pretty good job of auto-stitching multiple exposures. Just drop all images.
When the wind goes away, I will try with more difference between sky and ground. Hoping to get an even darker sky as result.

noticed the different exposure needs for capturing a nice sky and ground at the same time.

I've learned from forum member @BingErr that when you take your first photo of the 46, have that one away from the sun. It locks in the exposure for the rest of the photos.
No need to take two sets of shots?

Here's a quick video on how to use MS ICE made by him.

Thanks for sharing! Interesting tip but especially usefull when making tiny planets I think. I like to view the spheres with a VR viewer. Then I appriciate nice exposed sky. and by using 2 shots that work well but also introduces addtional stithcing challenges. ICE seems a good way to go forward with this.

I've learned from forum member @BingErr that when you take your first photo of the 46, have that one away from the sun. It locks in the exposure for the rest of the photos.

I ALWAYS take the first shot away from sun, but it does not always give me good exposure of both ground and skies. Mostly you need 2 shots with 3EV stops or so between them to get a good balance.

Thanks for the plug. I'm glad you get it. I'm trying to explain this same thing in the DJI Forums right now.

So I've tried ICE. I'm impressed by it's speed, accuracy and ease of use! One remark though: I couldn't figure out howto export in a 2:1 ratio. I had to do it by hand in Photoshop (PS). Then in PS fill-up the air with a gradient as described in the video above (Thanks @BingErr).

Any suggestions on making the last step easier?
(Of course DJI Go 4 has this covered but doesn't support stitching multiple shots with different lightning)

I've used the auto-complete option in MS ICE but I don't like it. I prefer to still use the gradient tool and healing brush.

Are there any apps for mac? Auto Pano is good but not keen on paying for it as I don't use it all that much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit