Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Sunrise - September 17, 2018

Just the still shot is beautiful enough! I had no idea that you had gotten so much rain there. Have you considered using your Spark to make a video of the Marfa lights? That would be cool too.

Just the still shot is beautiful enough! I had no idea that you had gotten so much rain there. Have you considered using your Spark to make a video of the Marfa lights? That would be cool too.

Funny you should ask, We are going out to Ft. Davis just north of Marfa for Thanksgiving.
I already have the mission planned for a few buttes out there and the disused airbase where the official Marfa Lights viewing stand is.
Preview of the airbase on Google maps:Marfa Airbase.JPG

The airbase footprint is so big I cannot make it all the way around at max speed with the Spark!!!

I had no idea that the airbase was that big. Yeah, you would need a different drone for that. I looked on YT for any such videos but there are none that were worth viewing. Do you plan on visiting the viewing area at all?

I had no idea that the airbase was that big. Yeah, you would need a different drone for that. I looked on YT for any such videos but there are none that were worth viewing. Do you plan on visiting the viewing area at all?

The airbase is the viewing area.
The plan is to take off & land just to the right of the viewing area.
I'm only going to fly down 1/2 the airbase...just past the very wide hangar slab of cracked concrete.
Mission Hub - Litchi

Well I hope you are able to get some interesting video in that flight. I think it is cool that you can post your Mission Hub flight plans like that. As it is said... "I want to believe"! :D

Well I hope you are able to get some interesting video in that flight. I think it is cool that you can post your Mission Hub flight plans like that. As it is said... "I want to believe"! :D

I read some of the history about the airbase...built in 1911 to patrol the Mexico border, closed in 1930 then re-opened in 1941 - 45

Looking forward to the base video

Extract the CSV flight plan and run it through Virtual Litchi Mission with Google Earth :D

I would love to try that except that for some odd reason, I cannot get Google Earth to load on my laptop. I will try it later on my desktop though.

Reactions: pmshop
The airbase is the viewing area.
The plan is to take off & land just to the right of the viewing area.
I'm only going to fly down 1/2 the airbase...just past the very wide hangar slab of cracked concrete.
Mission Hub - Litchi
Can't wait to view this. I've just started using litchi with my Spark and Mavic pro 1. Absolutely love mission hub to see other people missions can you actually go to the spot and fly Thier missions? I've not tried it. So obviously it will save to your mobile and all you have to do is check all good and press go.

Well. it took some digging to find a fix and I have Google Earth running finally... sort of. It will load but it stops working intermittently for no reason. So, I would like to try this virtual mission viewer If I can figure out how to do it. Or does this have to be watched on my iPad Mini and not my laptop?

Well. it took some digging to find a fix and I have Google Earth running finally... sort of. It will load but it stops working intermittently for no reason. So, I would like to try this virtual mission viewer If I can figure out how to do it. Or does this have to be watched on my iPad Mini and not my laptop?

Laptop - VLM is a windows based program.
So what you do is load the CSV file to VLM...that will spawn Google earth automatically.
When google earth opens, you will see on the left hand side "Temporary places".
Click the arrow pointing to it and a sub menu opens.
Highlight "Virtual Mission"
Just above the layers section on the left side, you will see an up & down arrow and a camcorder with a play button - click that camcorder.

Now the mission comes alive with the altitude, camera angle, POI and speed configured - and much more.
If you click the sun icon, it will show you the lighting with the sun's current position (view at night it will be black - unless there is a full moon.)

Pretty cool to see if a mission will work or crash :D

Thank you. I am going to give that a try.

What an adventure! You have a long flight planned there. I have a few questions about VLM. When you view your missions, is the horizon steady and the foreground jumps steadily as the mission progresses? Is there any way to set the viewing altitude to match the altitude of the actual mission settings? Or can the viewing angle be changed at all in any way?

What an adventure! You have a long flight planned there. I have a few questions about VLM. When you view your missions, is the horizon steady and the foreground jumps steadily as the mission progresses? Is there any way to set the viewing altitude to match the altitude of the actual mission settings? Or can the viewing angle be changed at all in any way?

The jumping is the intense graphic rendering of Google Earth. It will tax the older processors.
What you have seen is exactly what the Spark will see when it flies the mission.
VLM automatically converts all the mission parameters to a readable file for Google Earth.
So what you witnessed is the spark view from 100ft AGL with a camera angle of -3° pointed at the POI looking 26ft below the surface for the target of the POI.
All with a speed of 33.6mph
The slow turn at the end towards home is a limitation of litchi.
Last WP with curves will point towards home.
Cure, add another WP just before home.

I may revise the mission not to go as far south to get me in the 9 minute range.
All I need is the Spark to slow down at WP 4 and try to come home at WP5 because the battery is too low :eek:

Devil's Tower I assume? Now your "imaginary" mission parameters show the drone flying at 1000 feet but the view in the VLM is still showing near ground level. Can the AGL view not be changed to match the set altitude at all?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers