Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Super Noob

RayLuciano

Join
Sep 12, 2019
Hi..

I was just given a Spark as a gift from my brother in law as he was buying a Mavic and was wondering where can I test fly my drone in nyc? Do I need to get a Drone license or permit to fly? Do I have to register my device?

Reactions: Spark 317
You need to register your drone with the FAA. The DJI GO 4 app should tell you if you where the restricted airspaces are.

Edit: you need to register with the FAA if you are in the USA

Last edited:
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, RayLuciano.
What a nice brother in-law. :)

Get three apps for your device, free from the app store.

1) AIRMAP : Shows the airspace around you and other areas that you may fly in the future. It shows airports, NFZ's, TFR's, NOTAM's, etc that will help you to find a spot between the NFZ's.

2) UAV FORECAST : Shows the weather conditions for drone flights and is customizable for flight conditions at different altitudes. The wind may be calm at the surface, but could be worse at 300'.

3) WINDY.COM : Shows a moving image of the wind flow over a map that's soothing to look at rather than just an arrow pointing. Some pilots will fly into the wind at the start of a mission just to have the extra push on the way back to the Home Point if the battery level is low. Another reason to know the wind direction is that if the Spark goes into Atti-mode, it should remain hovering at the current altitude, but be at the mercy of the wind and "fly away".
With a flight time of 12 minutes average and a 5 mph breeze, it could cover a lot of distance before running out of power and auto landing somewhere.
If you keep the Spark in VLOS and get the orientation of the Spark correct, you can still fly the Spark but with no GPS to keep it in its place.

I don't have Facebook, but I've read in this Forum that there may be a couple of FB groups in the NYC area that know where to fly.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. ?

Last edited:

1) AIRMAP : Shows the airspace around you and other areas that you may fly in the future. It shows airports, NFZ's, TFR's, NOTAM's, etc that will help you to find a spot between the NFZ's.

2) UAV FORECAST : Shows the weather conditions for drone flights and is customizable for flight conditions at different altitudes. The wind may be calm at the surface, but could be worse at 300'.

3) WINDY.COM : Shows a moving image of the wind flow over a map that's soothing to look at rather than just an arrow pointing. Some pilots will fly into the wind at the start of a mission just to have the extra push on the way back to the Home Point if the battery level is low. Another reason to know the wind direction is that if the Spark goes into Atti-mode, it should remain hovering at the current altitude, but be at the mercy of the wind and "fly away".
With a flight time of 12 minutes average and a 5 mph breeze, it could cover a lot of distance before running out of power and auto landing somewhere.
If you keep the Spark in VLOS and get the orientation of the Spark correct, you can still fly the Spark but with no GPS to keep it in its place.

I don't have Facebook, but I've read in this Forum that there may be a couple of FB groups in the NYC area that know where to fly.

Thank you so much for this info.. I have never flown a drone before and I am taking to doing video's with my kid using a gopro and now this will make our video's so much more fun.. ALSO it's a drone lol.. But yeah he gave me the drone and 3 extra batteries, 3 sets of propellars, a new case and the prop guards and lets OH and it comes with the actual remote.

You need to register your drone with the FAA. The DJI GO 4 app should tell you if you where the restricted airspaces are.

Edit: you need to register with the FAA if you are in the USA

Ok thank you. What happens if my brother in law already registered it?

Ok thank you. What happens if my brother in law already registered it?
Hi Ray,

A few items:
  • You are not a licensed Part 107 pilot so you don't actually register the drone. You are registering yourself with the FAA and then you put that registration number on any drone that you fly. If your brother in-law had done that as well, just take his number off of the drone and put yours on there.
  • There is ONE and only ONE correct place to register with the FAA and it is the FAA Drone Zone. Once you get to the main page, go to the link for Exception for Recreational Flyers. The fee is only $5.00 for a two year period.
  • Your registration number must be displayed on the OUTSIDE of the drone so it is clearly visible. I would highly recommend also putting your phone number on that label. If the drone should get lost, there is then a way for someone else to find you.
  • VERY IMPORTANT:
    Even though there are many places to fly "legally" in NYC, you need to be very careful. The FAA is the only entity that can regulate airspace, and as such if it is legal by the FAA then you should be good. However, NYC has some crazy idea that they can regulate drone flights. The police can give you problems if they see you flying anywhere in the 5 boroughs of NYC. Most people don't even bother and will go fly elsewhere.

Hi Ray,

A few items:
  • You are not a licensed Part 107 pilot so you don't actually register the drone. You are registering yourself with the FAA and then you put that registration number on any drone that you fly. If your brother in-law had done that as well, just take his number off of the drone and put yours on there.
  • There is ONE and only ONE correct place to register with the FAA and it is the FAA Drone Zone. Once you get to the main page, go to the link for Exception for Recreational Flyers. The fee is only $5.00 for a two year period.
  • Your registration number must be displayed on the OUTSIDE of the drone so it is clearly visible. I would highly recommend also putting your phone number on that label. If the drone should get lost, there is then a way for someone else to find you.
  • VERY IMPORTANT:
    Even though there are many places to fly "legally" in NYC, you need to be very careful. The FAA is the only entity that can regulate airspace, and as such if it is legal by the FAA then you should be good. However, NYC has some crazy idea that they can regulate drone flights. The police can give you problems if they see you flying anywhere in the 5 boroughs of NYC. Most people don't even bother and will go fly elsewhere.
Thank you and I have registered the drone.. Is there really a permit to fly a drone?

I live in the UK and have registered with the FAA. It gave me peace of mind when we visited in May and as above I use UAV as it has all the info I need including NFZs. Have to say the idea of sticking your phone number on the FAA number affixed to your drone-you have to produce the sticker yourself, is a great idea and I am about to get my Dymo out to do just that. Happy, safe flying.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
I think it was Amazon that I got my printed stickers from. You enter the information online and Amazon will send the printed stickers to you in a few days.

Reactions: Highflyer
Where in NY are you? I know lots of people that fly from the bush terminal park in Sunset Park Brooklyn. Seems like a good spot to throw up the drone and test it.

Calvert Vaux park in Coney Island is a designated model aircraft area. Lots of drone pilots use this park as well.

Thank you and I have registered the drone.. Is there really a permit to fly a drone?
What permit? No, all you need is the registration you already have. Now you just need to make sure you are flying where you are allowed to do so.

I learn something new here every day. I already had AirMap and UAV Forecast, but didn't know about windy.com, but I have it now. Thanks for the continuing edutcation, Spark 317!

Have to say the idea of sticking your phone number on the FAA number affixed to your drone-you have to produce the sticker yourself, is a great idea and I am about to get my Dymo out to do just that. Happy, safe flying.

Do I have to register my device?

Another great idea for identification of the Spark, put the contact information on the SD card in the Spark as a text file just in case the stickers wear out if the Spark has to spend some time out in the elements.

Put your Spark Pilots user name on the card as well along with the website, SparkPilots.com so somebody can create an account and contact you from anywhere.

A few Email addresses wouldn't hurt either.

Just make sure you put the information back on the card if you format it on a PC. If you format the card in the Spark, the information will be lost.

I think it was Amazon that I got my printed stickers from. You enter the information online and Amazon will send the printed stickers to you in a few days.

I just laser printed a label and stuck it on Phoebe. If I decided to change something about it, it's a simple peel and stick proposition.

Reactions: RotorWash

Its seems Australia is so far behind the ball with drone management. There are new CASA regulations coming in early 2020 but they haven't been finalised. The new app they are pushing us to use is developed locally by a 3rd party and uses google maps to locate everything. This means anywhere some google user has plonked an airport symbol shows up with a 5km exclusion zone. The map looks as if it has measles because there is a small circle for every potential helicopter landing pad, hospitals, medical centres etc.
I have given up and use the DJI Go app database which is fairly accurate from my observation. So far quotes for RePL training is for commercial only and is upwards of $2,900 a course. Fortunately as an ex pilot i have an aviation reference number so i will save on that at least.

What permit? No, all you need is the registration you already have. Now you just need to make sure you are flying where you are allowed to do so.
Thanks for this info.. I registered it and just waiting for the sticker to come in. Was able to get the drone up yesterday but because the video feed was a little choppy on my phone i didn't push it out too far. From my house to the park by my house and back in front of my home. I was looking up some videos on this issue and was recommended that I get a cable from my phone to the remote control for a better connection.. When doing this do I still need my cell phone? What If I have a wireless ipad mini? Can I use that? Also can I use the mini if I am not connected to any wifi connections if I am using the cable?

Where in NY are you? I know lots of people that fly from the bush terminal park in Sunset Park Brooklyn. Seems like a good spot to throw up the drone and test it.

Calvert Vaux park in Coney Island is a designated model aircraft area. Lots of drone pilots use this park as well.
I am in East New York with Highland Park being my local park

Another great idea for identification of the Spark, put the contact information on the SD card in the Spark as a text file just in case the stickers wear out if the Spark has to spend some time out in the elements.

Put your Spark Pilots user name on the card as well along with the website, SparkPilots.com so somebody can create an account and contact you from anywhere.

Just make sure you put the information back on the card if you format it on a PC. If you format the card in the Spark, the information will be lost.
That's a great idea.. Doing this tonight.

Thank you for this info.. Thank you

I will do this too and make sure to put a Decepticon Logo on my drone :)..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef