Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tablet mounting on remote

BushPusher

Join
Sep 7, 2019
Does mounting a tablet over the top of the remotes antennas make any difference in range or make any type of interference.
I see many types of mounting options for a tablet, i just think a would prefer to mount a tablet on the upper side of remote sense i tend to hold the remote close to my body .
But if there is any issues with that then i would have mount tablet below
any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Roger

I fly with a mini4 and two Droids.

All are mounted above the remote with a neck lanyard as a life line.

I haven't noticed any problems.

Reactions: RotorWash
I see where the style you use would not interfere with the antennas.
where the style i was looking at is closer and cover the antennas more see pic. your thoughts

Attachments

• bc69c66a-0992-425e-b6e1-45d494005865_1.cb83d4558c3fcf3b2bd950ec6055dcad.jpeg
    bc69c66a-0992-425e-b6e1-45d494005865_1.cb83d4558c3fcf3b2bd950ec6055dcad.jpeg
    207.5 KB · Views: 24
I don’t know about that one.

It looks like it holds the tablet straight verses an angle like the others.
You may have to hold it up as you fly which is going to be tiresome after awhile.

I noticed the antennas have been removed or airbrushed out from the image so it’s tough to see if they would be blocked.

Spend the extra bucks, you won't regret it:
Just make sure you have the right attachment for your device.
Case in point, I ordered first a clamp that would grab an iPad 5th gen.
But it would not grab the OtterBox case.
Another $14 and I had the right mount.
However, the iPad 5th gen turned out to be too big for my preference so I got an iPad mini 5.
Another $14 and I got the right clamp for that.

I’m not willing to take a chance with my iPad yet.

I’ve been using my iPhone 7+ mounted in an adapter I 3D printed that clamps in the cell phone “jaws” on the controller. My phone is bigger than normal ‘cause it’s a plus and thicker since it’s in a OtterBox case.

I think this is where DJI wanted the “monitor” so that it would not block a direct path for the radio signal between the antennas and the drone.

I’m an Extra Class ham radio guy so I know that the radio control, video, and telemetry frequencies involve are microwave frequencies and so line-of-sight - almost like light. Stuff like the “monitor,” your body, leaves on trees, buildings, hills, etc. block the RF signals at these frequencies. The reason some don’t notice the blockage/weaker signal is because, although the signals are line of sight, the signals bouncing off stuff, all be it poorly.

I have a holder that would position an iPad I have above the controller but I haven’t used it yet. I’m sure the iPad, my body, etc. will block/weaken the RF signals when such stuff gets between the antennas and the drone. It’s just physics and a fact. The farther away the drone, the more pronounce the negative affects are likely to be.

You might be able to mitigate an iPad’s signal blocking by keeping the path between the antennas and the drone clear; i.e., don’t let the iPad, your body, etc. block the signal path.

Also, keep the controller antennas vertical, which will make them parallel to the Drone’s antennas. This will maximize the signal strength. Don’t have the controller antennas parallel to the ground or some other angle other than vertical. Finally, don’t point the ends of the antennas at the drone since there is an RF null or dead zone off the ends of the antennas. There is a similar null off the ends of the Drone’s antennas.

If you can avoid putting an iPad above the antennas, I would do so at least until you are comfortable flying the drone. Why add another thing that could affect its performance when you are still figuring out how it works?

Good luck.

Back again, well i picked up a SkyReat mount in the description it said 4-12"
Ipad or tablet well guess what the description is wrong it should say 5 1/4 - 8" any way because all my controls are on the long end of my tablet i made sure that when i picked out a tablet mount it would work on the short side which is 4 1/2" can anyone tell me what the minimum clamping size would be with the UZOPI tablet mount
Thank You Roger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme