Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

The Dangerous of Spark Active Track Profile Mode

HiyuSparky

Join
May 29, 2018
So , its like in the middle of the active track flights in the profile mode, the spark was tracking my car from the left side of my car around 15 meters height and 10 meters distance, and then i was like make a U-turn to the right. i was watching the spark fov and its still following me from the right side nicely, buuuuttt then i stop my car , but the spark continue to drift away like 25-40 meters away very fast (its still tracking my car ,so its continue to flying backwards and i think it will eventually stop because the profile mode right?) and then it crashed to the building............
the damage? well its quite OK though. the battery clip was dang(can't clip to the spark anymore) , the sparky lens was quit scratched , and my heart is broke when the sparky smash that building.
my point is..
1. be careful of the spark profile mode, its tracking you from the certain angle, but not for the distance , i don't know whats going on that this can happen , but i think its a issue that the profile mode is just really trying to make you in the middle of the screen but not for the distance.
2. i'll never let backwards active track enabled again.
3. i need help to (i know it cant be removed ) reduce the little scratch on the spark lens ( its not really severe but i hate the scratchy lens)
4. always position your thumb on pause button on RC. ( i was late you know, to the point where its crashed )
5. i was really having an ease of mind that the spark will not disappoint me with active track feature , but the actual thing of Active track mode and lack of backward sensor makes it really dangerous.

This is the link to the video

Last edited:
Hiyu, that's a real shame. Active track is a clever feature but unfortunately takes the control out of your hands especially if you have enabled "backward flying whilst active tracking" I have spoken to people who have walked towards their drone to retrieve it and forgotten it's still in that mode. It then flies back in to something because it is still tracking and keeping its preferred distance. Sounds like your next option is contacting DJI re getting your spark fixed ? Hope it works out for you.

Reactions: HiyuSparky
I would not try to polish it out. You will more than likely make it much worse. The gimbal on the camera is very sensitive and if you are handling it too much could damage the gimbal as well.

You should contact DJI about repairs for sure.

Reactions: HiyuSparky
first active track is a marketing gimic your relying on the drone to follow you big mistake... maybe in a open feild not in the suburbs.... second... if you want to be tracked have a buddy fly with the remote.. its the only for sure way all these extra features are marketing wank designed to get you excited to buy

Reactions: goooins
first active track is a marketing gimic your relying on the drone to follow you big mistake... maybe in a open feild not in the suburbs.... second... if you want to be tracked have a buddy fly with the remote.. its the only for sure way all these extra features are marketing wank designed to get you excited to buy
Agreed

I saw towards the end on those flags that the wind was really going, was it not possibly the wind playing a part as well pushing it into the building? I know my Spark does quite well in the wind, but those heavy flags were really going in the wind.

actually i never have a problem flying with trace mode before , but in profile mode,,,,,,, well i cant guarantee that , its a good feature , but thats that

Honestly you're lucky it made it that far with all those light poles and electric lines around you without you controlling your drone.

I find it to be a useful feature but you need to be in an area without anything to smack into and somebody needs to be able to keep an eye on things and cancel if something bad happens. It's not a good idea to just trust the software and let it do its own thing.

Reactions: alekaras

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef