Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

The Nickle Plate Express

Spark 317

Well known member with a Spark and a Mavic Air 2.
Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 10, 2017
Loc
Indiana, USA
The Nickle Plate Express is home to Train 4214, built in 1956, that has had a history of pulling passenger and ore cars in different states, but is now pulling vintage 1950's style passenger cars on a 15 mile stretch of rail in Indiana as a themed party train that runs on weekends.

Harry Potter themed passengers boarding the Wizard Express

npe 1.JPG

npe 2.JPG

A few more of 4214

npe 4.JPG

npe 5.JPG

npe 3.JPG

The above picture is the rear of the train actually going forward with this little engine leading the way.

I'm sure it's not doing much pulling, but it it does have lights, horn, and an engineer to insure the track is clear on it's way back to Atlanta, IN.

The train travels for about 10 miles, stops, then backs up. The whole ride is about an hour and a half since the rail is limited.
Other towns along the line are pulling up the tracks for trail preparation. Rails to Trails they say. And then possibly a lite rail system in the future. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I haven't ridden the train yet, but it would be neat to ride a 1950's style train and cars because they may not be around to enjoy later. It's like the quote, "You don,t know what you have until it's gone"

Here are a few pictures of 4214 I found of it's past before being painted.

I got to ride a train with my elementary school class and enjoyed the experience. It was a short trip, less than 20 miles, but indelibly burned into my memory. The train station even had a telegraph office with the old sounder box. I don't think most people realize that most modern locomotives in the U.S. are really electric trains. The huge deisel engines run dynamos to power the electric motors.

So many varied and awesome locomotives over the years, few of which exist even in museums. Great shots, Spark 317, totally enjoyed seeing them. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Spark 317
These are so sharp. Did you shoot Auto of fiddle with the camera settings? Thanks for sharing.

It's all auto, but I did have a ND 16 filter on since it was a bright, sunny day. ?

Reactions: twickers14

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilot6521