Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

To calibrate or not?

TerenceM

Join
Aug 15, 2017
Hi, I normally fly my Spark with my Iphone 6, but today I thought I'd use my iPad Air 2 - because of the bigger screen.
Anyway, just as soon it connected I got a calibrate IMU message. I swapped screen and went back to my iPhone, and no problems - the bird flew normally.
I switched to my iPad again and, again, it requested an IMU calibration. I don't understand it - could someone explain this to me and/or has it happened to any one else?

Thanks and regards

Reactions: hiflyer
Agree with RR. I run my Spark through my iPad6 for the better screen size and I calibrated after a fly away-both IMU and compass. All good.

I calibrate before every flight it literally takes a couple minutes and may be the difference between a save flight and something going wrong so I do it as a pre flight precaution

Sort of on topic here, but you guys have any problem seeing your tablets in daylight? I am Android user and my 8 inch tablet washes out in bright sunlight.

Thanks

Many pilots find using a sunshade is necessary due to ambient brightness washing-out the display. The one exception I've heard is a CrystalSky monitor, but they're rather pricey. A sunshade is far cheaper. Google "sunshade" or "sun hood" for drones, you'll find many. There are numerous YouTube videos on how to make your own if you want to try it.

Reactions: RotorWash
I never calibrated my Spark (except before the very first flight) and never had any problems yet. I think it's a good portion of superstition (like the "you need to reboot your PC to fix all kind of problems" thing) :) But on the other side it doesn't hurt, so no reasons against it.

There are some aircraft models than when you turn them on the next thing is to calibrate if you don't do It Will not take off, this should be important to understand It is important to do It...

Sure, but once you did a calibration there is no need to re-calibrate the Spark all the time. If it's neccessary to do so, the app will let you know (may happen after travelling a long distance, for example).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme