Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Tracking wakeboarders.

BravoTango

Join
May 16, 2018
Hey I have recently picked up a spark.

I was messing with the active track and can not seem to turn off Obsticle avoidance to get more speed out of the active track.
I have seen videos of the spark on youtube keeping up with boats at decent speeds ( maybe older fimrware) but I am not getting those results.
I read a ton of stuff about turning the avoidance on and off to get more flight performance, but mine is locked down, I tried changing it before and after the track was set.
I wish there was a faster GPS steady mode, I flew it in sport back to the boat twice because it wouldnt keep up in track or gps.
I guess some really light stick work will get you a few clips while in sport mode, but I was hoping for a bit more speed out of it while having a steady horizon stock.
I have a 3dr solo and it is probably my favorite tracking platform, but its a decent load out size-wise.
I would'nt mind changing the parameters on the spark on the assistant app , but I just wanted to touch base with anyone who had done it to make sure I will even gt the speeds I am looking for with a steady horizon.
Tracking would be nice to be able to allow my less experianced pilot buddies to chase the boat with the spark( they are fimmilir with running the solo) but I guess flying sport is all I will get out of it for now. Along with just some steady shots (non chasing).

What settings? Were you tracking over water?

I wonder if the waters reflection makes it harder to track.

What settings? Were you tracking over water?

I wonder if the waters reflection makes it harder to track.

Did you get this sorted out? I have some wakeboard opportunities this summer and wanted to learn from your experience. What was your solution?

Not yet. Ive been using it for point of reference shots and in tripod mode. For the chase filming I think I am going to resort back to my 3dr solo , I have had a ton of success with it, I was just hoping to get a smaller footprint in my gear load.
Here are a few clips of the spark and an osmo+

I got into the debug mode on the V2 Assistant software and changed a few parameters with no noticeable difference on the flight characteristics. Still capped out around 10-12mph in gps (w/o object avoidance), and the active track will not keep up with my little johnboat like the solo can. Also when the solo goes into follow mode it runs off one stick to move the gimbal and the drone all together making it really the best flight mode I've used for filming wake. You literally can put almost anyone on the sticks and get great results. I would highly recommend picking up a solo off craigslist or FB now that they are so cheap. Only downside is needing a solid, flat, metal free takeoff point, and size.

Solo footage vvvv

Last edited:
Reactions: Douglas128
I would highly recommend picking up a solo off craigslist or FB now that they are so cheap. Only downside is needing a solid, flat, metal free takeoff point, and size.

I had a Solo and was great but I sold it and recently got the Spark. Filming with the Solo was a “production”. Filming with the Spark allows me to grab quick shots easier. 100’ or so up and it’s nearly invisible and silent. Your shots are great! Thanks for sharing!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav