Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Unlocked Geo zone + no internet while connected to Spark

Dan H

Join
Jan 1, 2018
HI all - I'm new here and to drones. Have spent the last week since getting my Spark reading, watching tutorials, more reading, experimenting under super controlled situations. Now have a handful of simple low and slow flights under my belt. Really fun.

I feel like I'm missing something critical in the area of self-unlocking geo zones and mobile phone connectivity to realize the unlock. Sorry in advance for the length but I'm trying to be as clear as possible with the problem.

I live right on the edge of a YELLOW authorization zone according to DJI FlySafe site. So from what I can tell, even just to fly the Spark indoors, for selfies, etc. I need to unlock the zone (it won't take off - never goes green when I'm in this yellow zone - makes sense). So I use the DJI FlySafe site to self-unlock the zone, verify phone number, etc. and get SUCCESS, have unlocked for the next couple days.

Good - I can see the unlocked zone listed in the Go 4 app, the Me tab (before going into fly mode), and zone says VALID.

Flying with a mobile phone (Android, Google Pixel) not a remote controller, connect WiFi to the Spark, and go into Fly Mode. Try taking off and I can't - says I'm in not authorized to unlock this zone. In fly mode menu, I see the list of unlock "applications" and there is nothing listed there. A refresh link/button right under the list, but it doesn't work - says my phone is not connected to the internet.

...which brings me likely to the underlying problem or misunderstanding. There are a couple features in the Go 4 app in Fly Mode that seem to need an internet connection (the mini map in the bottom left for one, and this Geo zone unlocking list for two). I can't seem to use either one. My phone is connected WiFi to the Spark which has no internet access, so how is it I can use these features?

I have seen mention of phones being in "dual network mode" or some such, both WiFi to the Spark AND cellular data. I have found and turned on all such settings I can find on my Pixel phone (including a couple in the developer options)

Anyway - like I said, feels like I'm missing something. Network connection related. If I'm not connected to the Spark, I can't get to that Fly Mode list of unlocked Geo zones. If I'm there and not on the internet, I can't refresh the list. (How is this list different than the one out in the home screen of Go 4 - Me section?)

If you made it this far, I'm really hoping you've seen or heard of this before and can point me in a good direction. Really wanting to understand these authorization zones -- and even better - see the mini map in the bottom left when I'm flying!

Thank you!

Good - I can see the unlocked zone listed in the Go 4 app, the Me tab (before going into fly mode), and zone says VALID.

Flying with a mobile phone (Android, Google Pixel) not a remote controller, connect WiFi to the Spark, and go into Fly Mode. Try taking off and I can't - says I'm in not authorized to unlock this zone. In fly mode menu, I see the list of unlock "applications" and there is nothing listed there. A refresh link/button right under the list, but it doesn't work - says my phone is not connected to the internet.

I have (partially) succeeded in getting past this and unlocking an authorized zone. Thought I would post here to help anyone else in the same situation.

My fix (for now) is to use an iPhone instead of Android (Pixel) Go 4 app to synchronize the unlock authorization to the Spark.
Huge bummer that the Android version of the app is buggy or does not include this feature.

Quick summary:
  • self unlock via DJI fly safe web site
  • you should see the unlock application with VALID status in the Go 4 app, even in the Android version, in the menu off the ME profile screen: More, Geo Zone Unlocking Applications. Note: this is a different list than what the Spark is aware of.
  • Here is where you need an iPhone. Connect to Spark WiFi, use the Go 4 app and GO FLY. Now you're in the GO FLY UI, and in THOSE menus, you see the Unlocking List menu option. Click the Synchronize Unlock Information link button under the list, this apparently pushes the unlock information to the Spark device.
  • Now you can bail the iPhone if desired and switch back to Android to actually fly the Spark. (You still have to go into the Unlocking List menu and turn on the zone you're in, answer the prompts). Now you can take off.
Hope that helps someone get through this. Bummer to have to use the wife's iPhone to unlock, but just stoked to get over this hurdle.

HI all - I'm new here and to drones. Have spent the last week since getting my Spark reading, watching tutorials, more reading, experimenting under super controlled situations. Now have a handful of simple low and slow flights under my belt. Really fun.

I feel like I'm missing something critical in the area of self-unlocking geo zones and mobile phone connectivity to realize the unlock. Sorry in advance for the length but I'm trying to be as clear as possible with the problem.

I live right on the edge of a YELLOW authorization zone according to DJI FlySafe site. So from what I can tell, even just to fly the Spark indoors, for selfies, etc. I need to unlock the zone (it won't take off - never goes green when I'm in this yellow zone - makes sense). So I use the DJI FlySafe site to self-unlock the zone, verify phone number, etc. and get SUCCESS, have unlocked for the next couple days.

...which brings me likely to the underlying problem or misunderstanding. There are a couple features in the Go 4 app in Fly Mode that seem to need an internet connection (the mini map in the bottom left for one, and this Geo zone unlocking list for two). I can't seem to use either one. My phone is connected WiFi to the Spark which has no internet access, so how is it I can use these features?

I have seen mention of phones being in "dual network mode" or some such, both WiFi to the Spark AND cellular data. I have found and turned on all such settings I can find on my Pixel phone (including a couple in the developer options)

Anyway - like I said, feels like I'm missing something. Network connection related. If I'm not connected to the Spark, I can't get to that Fly Mode list of unlocked Geo zones. If I'm there and not on the internet, I can't refresh the list. (How is this list different than the one out in the home screen of Go 4 - Me section?)

If you made it this far, I'm really hoping you've seen or heard of this before and can point me in a good direction. Really wanting to understand these authorization zones -- and even better - see the mini map in the bottom left when I'm flying!

Thank you!

I have this exact same problem, and for some reason enabling the dual network doesn't help like it should. And, since they pretty much disabled OTG cables, i'm in a bigger pickle than ever.

does anyone have any other idea?

I also have a similar problem using a 7.85” Crystal Sky tablet running on dji Go4 app 4.1.14. The dji Crystal Sky tablet runs on Android, but a different version than used on cellphones or tablets. I live in an Authorization Zone, so I use an iPad Air 2 to connect directly to the dji website (Flysafe/SelfUnlocking) to obtain a 3 day unlocking authorization. I then attempted to fly the Spark using the Crystal Sky tablet, which automatically connects to the RC controller. I moved the control sticks to the down and in position to start the Spark and obtained the No-FlyZones notification. Normally I can obtain authorization tapping on the two checked boxes, but this time I got the dreaded “not authorized to unlock this zone.” I kept getting the same message after several attempts. But after about 30 minutes I received a message “INTERNAL SERVER ERROR.” I tried again the next day, and everything worked perfectly, and I was able to fly in the Authorization Zone.

I am assuming that there are separate servers for the dji web site and the server that connects to the Spark, and that it takes some time for the two servers to communicate the authorization data. I guess the moral to the story is to obtain no fly zone authorization well in advance of trying to fly your Spark.

I also suggest that once you have a setup that is working, don’t download new apps or firmware upgrades, unless you can confirm that the changes will work. When I received my Spark, I was able to fly at my home until I upgraded the dji Go 4 app. Then it was about a month and 3 or 4 upgrades before I was able to fly in the Authorization Zone again using an iPad. I never was able to use an android table (Nexus 7) to unlock an Authorization Zone.

Reactions: Dan H
It will work with Pixel 2 or Pixel 3. Not sure about Pixel 1.
Make sure your Mobile data is still turned on and within Wi-Fi Preferences turn on "switch to mobile data automatically".
You need to do the self-unlock while you're online (connected to mobile data) and then hit "refresh" and then ALSO do "import to aircraft" steps. Here's a tutorial:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers