Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Unstable altitude flying under trees

BrianSC

Join
Apr 23, 2019
Hi all

The other day I flew the Spark under and between trees close to the coast line. I put it in tripod mode to make some footage between the trees. This was my first time doing footage like that. Plenty of sattelites, no compas error, etc. I checked the flight record and it did not go into ATTI mode at any point, as far as I can see.
The thing is that, the Spark would suddenly start to lose or gain altitude, or even going a bit side ways, while flyting between the trees, so much that I had to stop, since I couldn't trust it not to fly into a tree or hit the te ground or branches above, even though I tried to fly in a straight line and didn't change altitude.

One away from the trees, it went back to normal.

I have seen plenty of footage of people flying between trees, etc. so I believe this wasn't normal behaviour.

Any ideas of why it did this?

Depending on the height and light conditions, the Spark may be relying on the bottom camera when flying less than 25 feet through a shaded area along with the GPS signal darting in and out the trees that could effect the flight.

You probably have good GPS, but if at a low altitude, it may drift a little if the Spark is VPS.

Just a thought.

Depending on the height and light conditions, the Spark may be relying on the bottom camera when flying less than 25 feet through a shaded area along with the GPS signal darting in and out the trees that could effect the flight.

You probably have good GPS, but if at a low altitude, it may drift a little if the Spark is VPS.

Just a thought.
Didn’t think of that. I was flying low so it was probably in VPS.

Could it have been that it had rotor wash from the trees. I know if I fly close to a object it has a hard with hover due to the wash vs is I move forward slowly then it tends to be more stable

Could it have been that it had rotor wash from the trees. I know if I fly close to a object it has a hard with hover due to the wash vs is I move forward slowly then it tends to be more stable
It was hovering, I was flying forward and backward.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast