Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Used batteries

I B Spectre

Join
Aug 16, 2019
Aside from rare reports of amazingly low prices on Spark batteries, it looks like the price for a new one is still around $50.00. I'm seeing some of the more reputable outlets (B&H, Drone Nerds, etc.) offering used batteries for as low as $35.00 + shipping. They usually say they've been tested or refurbished and some sites even say how many cycles the battery has experienced. Even though I bought my Spark Fly More Combo off ebay from a highly rated seller and have been very happy with it, I'm more reluctant by a battery due to so many counterfeits. What are your thoughts on buying used Spark batteries?

for the price of a new battery verse the price you paid for your spark when new , why would you buy a battery that is refurbished and how do you refurbished a DJI Spark battery . do they use the old shell and replace the 3 cells ? . i know you can check the amount of times a battery is charged . for $15 more buy a new battery , you won't be sorry .

Aside from rare reports of amazingly low prices on Spark batteries, it looks like the price for a new one is still around $50.00. I'm seeing some of the more reputable outlets (B&H, Drone Nerds, etc.) offering used batteries for as low as $35.00 + shipping. They usually say they've been tested or refurbished and some sites even say how many cycles the battery has experienced. Even though I bought my Spark Fly More Combo off ebay from a highly rated seller and have been very happy with it, I'm more reluctant by a battery due to so many counterfeits. What are your thoughts on buying used Spark batteries?
Does anyone know how many cycles a spark battery will last? If I fly 3 times a week how many years can I expect my battery to last?

Reactions: Andre Levite
that's hard to say but if you take care of your batteries not using a battery past 3.8 per cell and not around 3.1 they will last a lot longer . some pilots fly there batteries to the end and return with 5% left in there battery , some don't make it back . the better you take care of your batteries the longer they will last with a little luck . below is a lopo battery chart . a Spark battery is a 3S pack.Lipoly Voltage vs. State of Charge 2S - 6S Packs.JPG

Reactions: I B Spectre
With proper maintenance and usage typical lithium polymer batteries will tolerate 300-500 complete cycles before needing replacement.

There are many variables that effect battery longevity. Most of these are under your control.

Things to avoid: overheating, storage outside of recommended operating temperature, repeatedly low battery drainage, complete discharge, moisture exposure, dirty or corroded terminals, trauma from drop or crash, using off-brand charges without overcharging protection circuitry.

Hard to think of ANY device I would consider inserting somebody else’s used battery in.

I certainly wouldn’t put one in my car or boat or motorcycle. It’s just too critical of a component to cut corners on. Especially an aircraft that lives 400 feet above the ground.

Hence there isn’t much of a legitimate market for used batteries in general. Many of them are counterfeits or damaged OEM. With the Spark you also have to consider the huge inventory of first generation batteries with the inferior clip design.

While it is technically possible to “refurbish” a LiPo battery the cost of replacing the cells and testing results would exceed the value of the battery. Therefore anybody advertising “used but refurbished” lithium drone batteries probably isn’t honest - it’sa shady marketing term.

With proper maintenance and usage typical lithium polymer batteries will tolerate 300-500 complete cycles before needing replacement.

There are many variables that effect battery longevity. Most of these are under your control.

Things to avoid: overheating, storage outside of recommended operating temperature, repeatedly low battery drainage, complete discharge, moisture exposure, dirty or corroded terminals, trauma from drop or crash, using off-brand charges without overcharging protection circuitry.
for my batteries i use battery port protectors . they keep dirt out and avoid damage to the contacts.the set is for three batteries and the Spark terminal . they are cheap and worth every penny .
BATTERY PORT PROTECTORS.PNG

for my batteries i use battery port protectors . they keep dirt out and avoid damage to the contacts.the set is for three batteries and the Spark terminal . they are cheap and worth every penny .
View attachment 11244

Agree. I have a set too

Those are primarily to prevent short circuit from accidentally bridging the terminals during transport. I’ve also used gaffers tape which leaves no residue compared to electrical tape adhesive.

Also helpful...
Terminal debris can be safely dislodged with a toothbrush or wooden toothpick. A pencil eraser is an efficient tool to remove minor corrosion of contacts (as an extremely mild abrasive).

Agree. I have a set too

Those are primarily to prevent short circuit from accidentally bridging the terminals during transport. I’ve also used gaffers tape which leaves no residue compared to electrical tape adhesive.

Also helpful...
Terminal debris can be safely dislodged with a toothbrush or wooden toothpick. A pencil eraser is an efficient tool to remove minor corrosion of contacts (as an extremely mild abrasive).
to remove corrosion try this , DETOXIT i have been using Detoxit for years on all my RC equipment .DEOXIT .png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme