Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Using a Spark with an Ipod Touch in the RC?

dcpmark

Join
Jun 13, 2017
I ordered a Spark for my 13-year old nephew, and just realized he has no phone.....only an older gen iPod Touch. Does it work in the RC instead of a phone? If so is there a specific generation you need to have for the app to work? What would be missing vs using a phone, and would he have to download local maps first?

I'm giving him the Spark as a surprise on vacation in St Thomas....will he be able to set up the iPod to use with the RC in St Thomas?

Thanks in advance!

Does it work in the RC instead of a phone?
Yes, you can fly with just the RC. If you want to use an Apple device, you'll need one of the devices listed here.

Yes, you can fly with just the RC. If you want to use an Apple device, you'll need one of the devices listed here.

Sorry for the confusion.....I didn't mean flying with just the RC. I meant putting the iPod Touch in the RC instead of an iPhone.

The iPod Touch is not a recommended device, but some people have had a good experience running DJI GO on the 6th generation model (the current model). See more details over in the Mavic Pilots forum here.

But the Ipod touch has no GPS inside it. So you would not be able to locate the Spark just looking at the map (even if downloaded previously) ?

But the Ipod touch has no GPS inside it. So you would not be able to locate the Spark just looking at the map (even if downloaded previously) ?

I didn't think the wifi Ipads had this problem, but maybe they do.....I thought you just had to cache the local maps before you fly.

So you would not be able to locate the Spark just looking at the map (even if downloaded previously) ?
The Spark contains an internal GPS receiver. That GPS receiver would be used for this purpose.

Is it confirmed that Spark is exempt from the recent changes that require you to have a device logged into the Go app before limited range/height flight restrictions will be lifted?

I'm giving him the Spark as a surprise on vacation in St Thomas....will he be able to set up the iPod to use with the RC in St Thomas?

Hopefully you ordered the 'Fly More' pack as the standard Spark doesn't ship with a controller.

Also as indicated above, if he has an older model iPod then it isn't going to work sadly.

Hopefully you ordered the 'Fly More' pack as the standard Spark doesn't ship with a controller.

Also as indicated above, if he has an older model iPod then it isn't going to work sadly.

Yep, got him the Fly More. I'm just trying to figure out the cheapest way to give him the full experience with a decently bright display....a used 6th gen iPod Touch, maybe a Galaxy S6 with bad ESN/IMEI, etc.

Is it confirmed that Spark is exempt from the recent changes that require you to have a device logged into the Go app before limited range/height flight restrictions will be lifted?

I'm assuming you can do that via Wifi before you ever fly.

I'm assuming you can do that via Wifi before you ever fly.

I've asked elsewhere for confirmation, but if it is required then he is going to need a device that is able to run the Go 4 app and connect to the internet from time to time so the Go 4 app can be logged in.

He will not need internet access each time he flys, but he will need the device connected to the controller, at least when the aircraft is powered on.

Unless of course the Spark has been exempted from this new stuff.

... or you could take the view that you actually want him to be limited due to age and experience and don't worry about it at all, in which case he can still fly, just not very far or high.

I am just going by the Mavic crowd. You can fly a device that doesn't have internal GPS, but you do have some restrictions like the map on the Go app.
I am assuming it will be the same with Spark. We will see!

Reactions: dcpmark
I've asked elsewhere for confirmation, but if it is required then he is going to need a device that is able to run the Go 4 app and connect to the internet from time to time so the Go 4 app can be logged in.
You only need to login into the DJI GO app once. As long as you don't manually log out, you won't need to login again.

Reactions: dcpmark

He will not need internet access each time he flys, but he will need the device connected to the controller, at least when the aircraft is powered on.

Unless of course the Spark has been exempted from this new stuff.

Can't give you a link to any one source, but my own research on another site has led me to believe it's a one-time log in to accept the new restrictions. Once you log in the first time you don't have to keep connecting to the Internet to fly. The only exception would be if DJI changes restrictions again, and then requires another one-time login which you could do at home over wifi.

I hope that turns out to correct.

You only need to login into the DJI GO app once. As long as you don't manually log out, you won't need to login again.

That isn't my point, it is well understood that the device doesn't need an internet connection as long as it is still logged in...

The problem here is the prospect of the user having a Spark, a controller, and no device to run DJI Go 4 on at all...

If the Spark, like the Mavic, needs to see a 'logged in' device each time it powers up then it is going to be a problem if you need the restrictions lifted...

If the Spark, like the Mavic, needs to see a 'logged in' device each time it powers up then it is going to be a problem if you need the restrictions lifted...
You got it. However, it won't be any more of a problem than flying a Mavic with only a remote controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe