Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Video editing software..

homeyjay

Join
Jul 19, 2018
Can anyone please recommend and free (or cheap) video editing software for editing the footage from the Spark?
I downloaded one the other day and it said that the video footage was variable bitrate and it needed to convert it to something that was more friendly for editing. I allowed it to convert the video and it just became a huge choppy mess!
I was going to use Windows Movie Maker but that seems to have been discontinued now and is no longer installed with the OS..

Any help would be great - I’ve no idea about this stuff but I’m happy to learn!

I use Hitfilm Express 4, pretty amazing considering it's free. A bit of a learning curve but there are tons of tutorials on Youtube

Can anyone please recommend and free (or cheap) video editing software for editing the footage from the Spark?
You can find a list of commonly used editors here.

Easily the best free option is currently Da Vinci Resolve. It's a serious editor - takes a while to come to grips with it. But the free version has almost everything in the paid version, and it's getting more fully featured with each iteration. Worth a look - if you intend to do enough editing to make it worth learning.

OpenShot is a great and free editor with lots of features and YouTube tutorials.

Well, not to stomp on anyone's finances... but as this little bird is really a flying camera first, I highly recommend paying for an editor... you dont have to shell out a lot, but you will get a lot of bang for your buck. I started with Vegas movie studio, which I believe is still around 50$ ... if you are on the mac side, the iMovie works just fine.

Its like listening to MP3s on $1000 headphones or driving a Ferrari to buy groceries... You have this great camera, treat its output to a decent processor!

Reactions: graywoulf
Can't recommend Vegas enough. Used it for years, then switched to Creative Cloud. Now that I don't qualify for discounts on that, will be switching back to Vegas.

Reactions: Canoetripper
Check out Blackmagic's Davinci Resolve Studio. It's free to use and not only is it a fantastic Non-linear Editor, it's also the industry standard for color grading, continues a fully featured DAW for audio and now also includes Fusion VFX functionality built right in.

Did I mention that it's FREE?

DaVinci Resolve 15 | Blackmagic Design

We use their cameras and software (even the FREE versions) day in and day out, in our production facility. I can't recommend it enough.

Reactions: Vilco
Avidemux is a good, free, and simple to use cross platform video editor, I use it on Linux for the Spark videos.

Also available for Windows of course.

In Windows 10 you can use photo app to make movies. works pretty good. if you need more features then Davinci Resolve is next on my list.

Hitfilm Express 4

Movie Maker updated 2018

LiteWorks

Da Vinci Resolve

OpenShot

Vegas

Creative Cloud

Final Cut Pro (professional)
Adobe Premiere (professional)

Avidemux

Filmora (Wondershare)

I use wondershare filmora

I downloaded one the other day and it said that the video footage was variable bitrate and it needed to convert it to something that was more friendly for editing. I allowed it to convert the video and it just became a huge choppy mess!
I was going to use Windows Movie Maker but that seems to have been discontinued now and is no longer installed with the OS..

Any help would be great - I’ve no idea about this stuff but I’m happy to learn!
If you one day intend to move up from the Spark, then I highly recommend Davinci Resolve. If not, may be something more simple to learn.

Reactions: Vilco
I like gopro quik on android for quick fun editing, I am starting to use adobe Premiere 2018 on windows as it has many settings to play with like shadows,highlights, sharpness, fps change...are the other listed editors better?

Filmora Wondershare. Super easy to learn and is more than enough to create fantastic/professional looking projects. In addition, has just about every feature one would need to create excellent work.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme