Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Video quality question

Burdman44

Join
Nov 3, 2017
Hi all, I'm an ooober-newb with photography/video, and was wondering what might be causing some of the defects in this video/what I can do to correct them.

This was downloaded off the spark to the phone, so as I've read, I'm sure it's in 720 instead of 1080 because I didn't grab it straight from the SD card, but my guess is that the resolution is not what's causing this - seems more of a focus, flight, and/or recording issue.

1. You'll notice throughout the video that the trees constantly go in and out of focus (almost seems like the camera is trying to refocus of different points the whole time). Anything I can do about that?

2. If you watch the left edge of the screen, you'll notice what I'd call 'margin tearing' where the left margin seems to smear the picture as the drone yaws (happens at 11-12, 16, 23-24 seconds, and several times thereafter. Am I turning too fast for it to handle, or is there something else I can change?

Obviously flipped it over to sport mode for the final positioning/climb (well aware that doesn't do great things for video quality - just tryin different things to learn more about it), but it was in standard mode for the first 35 seconds.

Thanks in advance for any help/feedback!

I get the same issue with the gimbal roll on my videos (horizon rolling instead of being flat horizontal). It's very annoying, and mine is a lot worse than yours. Even a slight tap on the roll or attempting to turn, the gimbal moves before the drone actually does. I thought it was a problem with my gimbal. But testing with flying in normal mode, it seems to be ok.
I think it's over compensating when in sports mode. It rolls to much too one side, and rolls too much to the other to compensate, and take a couple of seconds to flatten.
Not sure about the focus thing. Maybe look at the video from the SD card, cos it might be compression when transferring to your phone.

I get the same issue with the gimbal roll on my videos (horizon rolling instead of being flat horizontal). It's very annoying, and mine is a lot worse than yours. Even a slight tap on the roll or attempting to turn, the gimbal moves before the drone actually does. I thought it was a problem with my gimbal. But testing with flying in normal mode, it seems to be ok.
I think it's over compensating when in sports mode. It rolls to much too one side, and rolls too much to the other to compensate, and take a couple of seconds to flatten.
Not sure about the focus thing. Maybe look at the video from the SD card, cos it might be compression when transferring to your phone.

Thx man - will definitely check the SD card vid and repost if it makes a big difference. If compression is causing both the tearing and the focus issues, beyond feeling like a moron, I'll be pleasantly surprised cuz I was not happy when I viewed this the first time. Was really hoping it was something I did wrong in filming as opposed to something with the drone/something that isn't correctable.

I don't think I've ever seen the gimble keep up with sport mode rolling (not sure mine even tries - always rolls with the drone in sport...I just hit the wrong stick when I went to turn towards the valley, lol).

Wow Ray, you were absolutely right, THANKS!! All of those issues were from compression - can't believe it, but nonetheless relieved. Here's the same video copied directly from the SD card for comparison.

Reactions: antnyp85

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit