Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

VLOS, guesstimating distances and looking upwards ...

BrianP

Join
Jan 27, 2018
during my very interesting flight to the highest cliffs on the East Coast of UK I had to break a few of my usual rules of flight and it also focused me on how I fly usually... here are my musings...

VLOS - I had to fly, what turned out to be approx' half a mile to reach the cliff edge and filming spot. My ipad mini 4 gave a good enough view but I was out of VLOS and I guess I was breaking rules... How do others justify similar flights? In reality we can never spot our drones at such distances so what can we do to justify our longer flights?

Guesstimating distances:
How good are we all at translating distances we see in the world, at ground level, and distances we may need to fly to film a place/object/scene? I, personally find it all daunting but immensely rewarding to do and now use Google Earth to check what I had previously guessed.

Looking upwards, when flying:
I cannot remain steady on my feet if I look directly upwards so ALWAYS fly forwards as soon as possible at take off. Then I notice that I have to fly more forwards the higher I go, to remain comfortable seeing my drone/s. I find it a very weird phenomena that what seems slightly in front of me when above me is actually far in front of me! I obviously take great care when landing but find myself adjusting the distance in front of me as I descend the drone. -anyway, just my musings so I look forward to your thoughts ...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme