Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Waiting for next firmware update to resolve the otg cable glitch.

Sparkster

Join
Oct 14, 2017
Hey everyone. I've had my Sparkster now for over three months and I'm still thankful that I got it. With such a new innovative product we're going to see some glitches and hurdles to jump over but all in all I'm still impressed. I am disappointed in the recent firmware glitch that negates my use of the otg cable on my Android phone which is a Samsung galaxy j7. Up to the firmware update I had no issues. I do understand that the glitch is not intentional and am looking forward to the next firmware update. I currently have reverted back to the version before the update so that I can still enjoy my Sparkster.

Reactions: zayyarl and Girth67
OTG cable with the spark was never supported by DJI, but happened to somehow work.
They probably work on fixing the wifi issues with android now.

Reactions: Sparkster
Excuse my ignorance but how do you revert back to previous fw versions?
Delete the app off your phone. Then do a search on Google for old version 4.1.15. Install it and turn off auto updates in play store. Will fix your problems. Latest update messed with otg cable on android.

I have the DJI Goggles and my Spark would not connect to the Goggles, so I upgraded the firmware and all is well, I can now connect with the DJI Goggles and I can use the OTG cables to my iPhone. DJI does support the OTG Cable connection for the DJI Goggles and that is that. I'm one happy camper.

I have the DJI Goggles and my Spark would not connect to the Goggles, so I upgraded the firmware and all is well, I can now connect with the DJI Goggles and I can use the OTG cables to my iPhone. DJI does support the OTG Cable connection for the DJI Goggles and that is that. I'm one happy camper.
Does otg work without goggles on iphone?

Hey everyone. I've had my Sparkster now for over three months and I'm still thankful that I got it. With such a new innovative product we're going to see some glitches and hurdles to jump over but all in all I'm still impressed. I am disappointed in the recent firmware glitch that negates my use of the otg cable on my Android phone which is a Samsung galaxy j7. Up to the firmware update I had no issues. I do understand that the glitch is not intentional and am looking forward to the next firmware update. I currently have reverted back to the version before the update so that I can still enjoy my Sparkster.

What is exactly the problem with OTG, I've only used OTG with the latest version of the app (x.x.x.18). It connects to the controller but I don't get the drone information on the phone screen ( battery level, sensor status, etc).

Is this the problem you are referring to?

Thanks

I wouldn't hold my breath. My assumption is that OTG working was a side effect of recycling code - there is a fair amount of quirky and inconsistent behavior using OTG with spark, and the fact that it was not being addressed, makes me think that as the sparks code inside Go4 diverges, regressions with what was already a unsupported side effect - are not going to be "fixed".

Last edited:
What is exactly the problem with OTG, I've only used OTG with the latest version of the app (x.x.x.18). It connects to the controller but I don't get the drone information on the phone screen ( battery level, sensor status, etc).

Is this the problem you are referring to?

Thanks
Yes, no battery, height, distance, or velocity displayed with otg cable. You can still fly, just don't have those readings.

I have the same problem with the new 1.18 version and my otg-android cable.when l try wifi connect between RC and phone the flying experience really stinks

In another thread I expressed my disappointment with the latest Go4 upgrade, 4.1.18. It had created a mess for me on my Android tablet, Iconia 7. The biggest annoyance was that the screen would display either the flight map in the lower right corner or the radar map in the lower left, and the satellite icon would disappear with OTG connected. I discovered the following site, which has archived prior version of the Go4 app, so I went back to 4.1.15, which had been working with my mavic and my first day with the spark. Just did a test tonight from the porch and all may be back to normal for me. DJI GO 4 Version History (dji.go.v4) - APK4Fun

Reactions: Echoblue
I know everyone says that DJI never intended for the Spark to fly via OTG. I’m very new to this, got my Spark for Christmas. I had already bought an OTG cable for my iPad mini 4 then found out the new update negated the OTG thing. However I did see this for the CrystalSky Mount for Mavic/Spark controller on DJI’s website. Right under the price under “Important Information” it says
  • A function allowing users to connect Spark's remote controller to CrystalSky monitors and other mobile devices with a USB OTG cable is coming soon.
Buy CrystalSky Mavic/Spark Remote Controller Mounting Bracket

Reactions: Ed Grez
My gut instinct is that this was bad coding, rather than a deliberate removal of the OTG, because it was done far too sloppily to be deliberate. If they really wanted to disable OTG on the spark, you'd think it would simply not work at all, rather than putz up the telemetry and the quickshot mode (if you try that in OTG on 4.1.18, you will get a dronie shot...or an app crash.) It could be an attempt to make it so unreliable they wean us EU pilots off using it, but I suspect it boils down to bad coding.

I take the Hanlon's Razor view: 'Never atttribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.'

Reactions: Mad.Flyer
I know everyone says that DJI never intended for the Spark to fly via OTG. I’m very new to this, got my Spark for Christmas. I had already bought an OTG cable for my iPad mini 4 then found out the new update negated the OTG thing. However I did see this for the CrystalSky Mount for Mavic/Spark controller on DJI’s website. Right under the price under “Important Information” it says
  • A function allowing users to connect Spark's remote controller to CrystalSky monitors and other mobile devices with a USB OTG cable is coming soon.
Buy CrystalSky Mavic/Spark Remote Controller Mounting Bracket
Hope thats correct! Just had to downgrade to 4.1.15 to use S5

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef