Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

WARNING: Magnetic force issues!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntman2014

Join
Jul 26, 2019
so today I lifted off my spark from a steel stairway next to a lake and at first everything seemed normal but then it went toatally out of control and crashed inbetween the staircase. thank God the drone was fine! After I checked out the drone I looked at the phone and it said it was still in ATTI mode. I tried calibrating the compass and it said there was too much magnetic force. I'm assuiming its because I was near lots of metal. so a warning-do NOT fly near loads of steel. has anybody else exsperienced this??

Reactions: MVGsparked
Nope.

Page 46 , Item 2 of the DJI Spark User Manual warns about flying around large metal structures.

Don't launch from concrete paths or drives as they may have rebar embedded in the concrete too.

so today I lifted off my spark from a steel stairway next to a lake and at first everything seemed normal but then it went toatally out of control and crashed inbetween the staircase. thank God the drone was fine! After I checked out the drone I looked at the phone and it said it was still in ATTI mode. I tried calibrating the compass and it said there was too much magnetic force. I'm assuiming its because I was near lots of metal. so a warning-do NOT fly near loads of steel. has anybody else exsperienced this??
You should have got a warning before takeoff.

I most respectfully submit.....I try to read the manuals. They are a good thing....

Magnetic interference is a real thing.

one morning I was preparing to take off....had compass errors in a spot I had taken off many many times.

i became frustrated.......pulled off my zippered sweatshirt...took off my belt.....took keys from pocket....finally kicked off steel toed boots......did I mention it was cold and ground was wet......I was launching from a plastic pallet.....as I had done countless times before....no issues.cold and with wet cold feet the errors went away......

since then never an issue there....can’t explain it....only variable was it was a cold day......but in Alabama cold isn’t cold like else where.....I still wear the steel toed boots....keychain on belt etc etc.....

read the book and use interpret real world feedback.

thanks guys this helped quite a bit! yeah I got no warning before taking off which is strange.

thanks guys this helped quite a bit! yeah I got no warning before taking off which is strange.
As I reflected a bit further ......

For quite some time I kept a cheap camping type compass in my go bag. I used it for two things.
1 If I am in a new area I like to place the bird pointing north by sight with the camping compass.....

I step a few feet behind it and place iPad or other device with mounted controller pointing north as well.

I step back again and eye ball the alignment of my lay out....sometimes I might go point the bird a degree or so either way....sometimes the controller / display.

Depending on the day I may go place compass in front of bird.....or behind the controller....

at. This time I go through start up sequence......let it stabilize.....then stand up with controller and see if all points north.....

im not sure the exact name but the positional indicator in DJI Go 4 shows bird pointing toward the N and the part that shows relation to controller.....

Rotate your body with controller left and right.....like you would if flying.....If all the positional indicators move like you feel they should and the N indicator stays put I feel pretty confidant I’ve done all I can do in a real world environment.

I don’t do this every flight.....maybe I should.

That was a whole lot more than you were asking but most of my flight time is from a 10 acre field that had a farm implement JUNK YARD on it for 50 years....I still find pieces of metal to this day....some of it buried just below the grass....that makes for some screwy errors....or indications of something is off on take off.

Yea....I got some experience with how a bit of metal can throw a UAV into a confused state.

Dont ignore your gut feeling about surroundings and any positional indicator behavior.

Hmm. Usually Go4 warns you.

I thought to take off from a floating dock once. "Think again!"

Reactions: Huntman2014
my spark has lost control instantly after taking off twice several months apart from the very same rock on a sandy beach. I came to the conclusion that the rock was a piece of broken concrete that contained rebar..both times happened quickly and very little damage. A dinged prop that I changed out. I don't think that I had a warning either time. My mavic air wont start with a compass error. I guess the Spark will

A good preflight check to do is always make sure (within the GO4 app) the red arrow (AC symbol) in the attitude indicator is pointed in the same direction as the Spark. If it's not and north is indicating correctly on the outer ring of the AI then you have mag interference on the bird or its compass needs calibration, either way it's a no-go for take-off. If the red arrow only appears off due to north not indicating correctly then your mobile itself needs calibration preferably while attached to the RC. The first scenario affects the stability of the craft the second doesn’t. The compass in the Spark and the one in your mobile work together to supply the inputs to the AI.

Last edited:
my spark has lost control instantly after taking off twice several months apart from the very same rock on a sandy beach. I came to the conclusion that the rock was a piece of broken concrete that contained rebar..both times happened quickly and very little damage. A dinged prop that I changed out. I don't think that I had a warning either time. My mavic air wont start with a compass error. I guess the Spark will
Yes this must be what happend to me! and i got no warning which is quite strange as well.

In addition to all that metal and steel in concrete I'd also add other mobile phones nearby, those new fancy GPS watches on your partners wrists, even some electronic car keys, telephone and mobile phone towers. Usually when I've had connection issues, lost connectivity I'm near one of the above. Best to fly naked almost. Just joking, don't do that.

Had an experience about a month ago. Was flying over a coastal area when I lost sight of my Spark. Was using the map and distance readout to bring it back toward me when all of a sudden I got a compass error and lost signal and GPS for a minute or so (seemed like forever). I was at 140 feet (I think) when it happened, so not sure what could have caused the interference. Closest metal was the train tracks below, but I hope that wouldn't be a factor over 100 ft in the air. Flight record shows last position before the incident, then Sparky just disappears and reappears a short distance away. Like I said, I had lost VLOS and when I finally got reconnected, she was behind me. Thinking the signal booster on the remote was pointed in the wrong direction and we lost connection. Brought her back and she demanded a compass calibration. Went home and changed my underwear, haven't had a problem since.
Any thoughts on how you get magnetic interference mid flight with nothing within a 100 feet of the drone?
Thanx!

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Had an experience about a month ago. Was flying over a coastal area when I lost sight of my Spark. Was using the map and distance readout to bring it back toward me when all of a sudden I got a compass error and lost signal and GPS for a minute or so (seemed like forever). I was at 140 feet (I think) when it happened, so not sure what could have caused the interference. Closest metal was the train tracks below, but I hope that wouldn't be a factor over 100 ft in the air. Flight record shows last position before the incident, then Sparky just disappears and reappears a short distance away. Like I said, I had lost VLOS and when I finally got reconnected, she was behind me. Thinking the signal booster on the remote was pointed in the wrong direction and we lost connection. Brought her back and she demanded a compass calibration. Went home and changed my underwear, haven't had a problem since.
Any thoughts on how you get magnetic interference mid flight with nothing within a 100 feet of the drone?
Thanx!
This has happened to me on more than one occasion. It is kind of disconcerting the first few times, but I am kind of used to it now and know that I still have control of the bird, even if I don’t know where it is for a brief period. My primary concern is making sure it’s high enough that it won’t collide with anything while it’s gone walkabout. Inevitably things turn out fine.

Likewise if you pull over to get some quick shots of a scenic area you need to walk at least a few feet away from your car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe