Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Where to purchase batteries with larger locking clips

Sparksteeler

Join
Dec 7, 2018
I have just purchased a spark. I have read about batteries falling out during flight. I purchased an extra battery from Best Buy. When comparing the locking clips the Best Buy Battery clips were smaller(old design) than the ones that came in my fly more combo. I would order from DJI straight but all I need is an extra battery (they charge $15 bucks shipping). Amazon sales them 8 bucks cheaper with free ship. But I have seen reviews saying they are old design. Ideas where to buy cheaper and with better larger clip design? Thanks

I wasn't aware that there are different sized clips (DJI upgrade?). I just received an additional battery from Amazon that I haven't taken out of the box yet, I'll get it out later and check the clips compared to the batteries that I already have and give you an update.

I just checked all of my batteries and they are all the same. Have you actually seen a battery with bigger clips? I guess I don't understand how larger clips would still be compatible with the drone.

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that there are different sized clips (DJI upgrade?). I just received an additional battery from Amazon that I haven't taken out of the box yet, I'll get it out later and check the clips compared to the batteries that I already have and give you an update.

I just checked all of my batteries and they are all the same. Have you actually seen a battery with bigger clips? I guess I don't understand how larger clips would still be compatible with the drone.
The newer version the little triangle black clip goes all the way up to the square embossing. There are some pictures on this site. The difference is easy to see when you compare the new vs the old version. You can also google and see pics

I have a total of 6 batteries that were purchased separately and at different times of the year. They were all manufactured in June of 2017.

I haven't had a problem with the old design but the problem does exist and some have experienced a battery pop off during flight. It only needs to happen once.

Insure that both battery clips are engaged and the use of battery clips or a #141 O ring installed aournd the arms help insure the battery remains secure to the Spark.

Here's a picture showing the difference between the two clips on the battery.

Screenshot_20180515-151610.jpg

After seeing the photos, mine are all the newer style with larger clips. They were all purchased from Amazon with the oldest being purchased last August. It should be reasonably safe to assume that new batteries purchase from Amazon will have larger clips especially since the were out of stock as recent as last week. I would think that their replenished stock should all be the newer style batteries.

After seeing the photos, mine are all the newer style with larger clips. They were all purchased from Amazon with the oldest being purchased last August. It should be reasonably safe to assume that new batteries purchase from Amazon will have larger clips especially since the were out of stock as recent as last week. I would think that their replenished stock should all be the newer style batteries.

I will still use a battery belt whether it’s old or new. You’ Never know if the lock or spring is already worn out, for a few dollars at Amazon, I think it’s worth it than losing a $400 bird.

Reactions: BossOlive
I bought a clip also, i lost a battery in a waterfall after it came off. Luckily the spark landed at the top of the waterfall (not in the water) Clip size is now not an issue
The battery I purchased from Amazon DID have larger clip. I also purchased a battery clip. I have yet to fly because one,it’s a Christmas Present and 2 it’s been below 32 degrees. I have read some reviews that the battery clips scratch up drone arms and could lead to arms weakening after multiple uses? Oh well we shall see. Thanks everyone!

The battery I purchased from Amazon DID have larger clip. I also purchased a battery clip. I have yet to fly because one,it’s a Christmas Present and 2 it’s been below 32 degrees. I have read some reviews that the battery clips scratch up drone arms and could lead to arms weakening after multiple uses? Oh well we shall see. Thanks everyone!
Of course the clip is a tight fit or what's the point? I have a skin on my drone and the clip still fits on top, although there are a couple of small points where i can see it fits tighter. But detrimental to the arms.... no I cant see that at all.

Bought all mine from amazon. They all have the longer clips and this was many months ago. I’d say amazon is your best bet. High inventory turn over, so not likely to be any old stock left. Careful buying from private sellers on there though.

can you explain the use of o-rings. what kind?

The O ring is a #141 and is 2 5/16" id / 2 1/2" od and should be available at a hardware or automotive store. Graingers has them but the shipping is more than the parts.

Here's an example of mine. You can leave the O ring on the Spark when changing the battery, just roll it up to the top. Plus you can still use the prop guards.

20181216_115129.jpg20181216_115315.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Seems like a better solution than the plastic retainers and would last a lot longer. Plus it will be easier to get a replacement if you need one. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: BossOlive
I've been flying DJI SPARK drones for 6 months and haven't noticed battery problems. I had a hard landing after a drift landing put the drone in a tree, and noticed the gimble design has engineering protection flaws.

But on the battery, from looking at the picture, I noticed two sized lock clip paws. Large and small. I'm assuming the small are inadequate to maintaining a firm fit cause mid flight malfunction. Given the design flaw of gimble, that could cause some problems.

What are the necessary actions required to keep from battery release mid-flight, and is there any known responsibly liability on the manufacturer (DJI SPARK). .

I bought the fly-more package with and extra spark in likelihood of a crash I need only link the hanger drone to put it in service. .

The O ring is a #141 and is 2 5/16" id / 2 1/2" od and should be available at a hardware or automotive store. Graingers has them but the shipping is more than the parts.

Here's an example of mine. You can leave the O ring on the Spark when changing the battery, just roll it up to the top. Plus you can still use the prop guards.

View attachment 7938View attachment 7941

What a brilliant idea! Being employed in a hydraulic equipment manufacturing company, I spend my entire day with these o-rings. Never thought they could be used like this.

Reactions: Spark 317

great idea I'm going to have to get a few o rings. BTW how do you like the strobe? also, like the idea of the circle reflectors. thanks for posting

Jeff
ofmOI54.gif

Reactions: Spark 317

What locator are you using and do you like it? Been thinking about getting one.
BTW - I just order some 141's as that looks easier to use than the tiny bungee I'm using.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers