Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Which flying advice do I follow?

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Hey all-we’re in the US. On UAV I am slap dab in the middle of airports, heliports, DJI no-fly zones etc with coloured rings all over the place but on AIRMAP I am clear to fly. I know where the airport is and it’s well over 5 miles away. I know I can contact towers etc but which “advice” do I follow? I think I got AIRMAP as the FAA referred to it as a good place to consult when I registered. I’m from the UK by the way.

If it was me, I'd go with AIRMAP.

When using UAV just be sure to zoom into your location. Sometimes it's not as bad as it looks.

Some of those airspace’s you’re seeing are likely class B or C that doesn’t go all the way to ground level.

I follow AirMap. I live and fly 3 miles plus from the center of the local airport. If you are 107 certified you can file a flight plan and gain clearance within seconds with AirMap. Based on that info I’d trust AirMap. UAV, I use for satellites available and wind profiles. Good luck.

Learning to Read & Understand a Sectional Chart should be a requirement for sUAS flight. Just my 2 cents.

Learning to Read & Understand a Sectional Chart should be a requirement for sUAS flight. Just my 2 cents.

Agreed.

I'm hoping one day soon the FAA makes a simplified chart set for drone pilots. It would be a significant amount of work but would also greatly improve use and compliance. The average hobbyist is intimidated by the current chart system -- hence the popularity of the apps.

The FAA recently partnered with the developers of the Kittyhawk app so the new B4Ufly app (or whatever they decide to call it) may be the very solution we are all looking for -- including electronic notification of ATC! No telling how long it will take before it is released.

* I'm sure that you are up to date on all that but posting for benefit of others. At least somebody is working on a solution.

Reactions: BigAl07
Agreed.

I'm hoping one day soon the FAA makes a simplified chart set for drone pilots. It would be a significant amount of work but would also greatly improve use and compliance. The average hobbyist is intimidated by the current chart system -- hence the popularity of the apps.

The FAA recently partnered with the developers of the Kittyhawk app so the new B4Ufly app (or whatever they decide to call it) may be the very solution we are all looking for -- including electronic notification of ATC! No telling how long it will take before it is released.

* I'm sure that you are up to date on all that but posting for benefit of others. At least somebody is working on a solution.
I wasn’t up to date and it sounds good news. We can only hope our Authorities in the UK do the same-we are due a load of drone code stuff plus registration in September, if we still have a Government after Brexit if indeed that ever happens too!

Reactions: Andre Levite
Its worth exploring your ground space and see what those things actually are. I go by Airmap usually, but I also check the DJI Map, and UAV.... and always give way to piloted aricraft.
Its worth exploring your ground space and see what those things actually are. I go by Airmap usually, but I also check the DJI Map, and UAV.... and always give way to piloted aricraft.
Yep thanks. I guess if you are anywhere near a piloted aircraft they must be landing/taking off so perhaps near an airport/field.

Hey all-we’re in the US. On UAV I am slap dab in the middle of airports, heliports, DJI no-fly zones etc with coloured rings all over the place but on AIRMAP I am clear to fly. I know where the airport is and it’s well over 5 miles away. I know I can contact towers etc but which “advice” do I follow? I think I got AIRMAP as the FAA referred to it as a good place to consult when I registered. I’m from the UK by the way.

The FAA Sector Maps are the basis for all those apps. The FAA's own app is called B4Ufly. It can be buggy and the UI is outdated. But because it's the original source I use it for all "tie-breakers".

Most third-party apps are have disclaimers in their EUA ("for reference use only"). That implies you are on your own if there's any trouble -- it's theirl loophole to avoid legal liability.

Thanks for this Andre. I have fired up B4UFly, which I had anyway and I wonder if it is monitored in any way?

Technically the app gets very basic information but it's just enough for functionality and not for spying (yet). No way to know if data is stored or just ephemeral.

There is no user account or email address needed but obviously they have your IP address from the device (that can be masked). When you go to Map screen it automatically loads your current location (you can turn off Location Services and use pinch and zoom instead).

The other screens have lots of pop ups for entering flight plans. This is the initial implementation to get digital clearance with ATC instead of phone calls. It's not intended to track you secretly and it's optional for now.

Once LAANC system is fully operational I suspect all apps (even DJI Go) with be tracking flights in certain areas. It's inevitable once the technology allows for it -- then will begin the cat and mouse game with folks trying to circumvent it.

Last edited:
Technically the app gets very basic information but it's just enough for functionality and not for spying (yet). No way to know if data is stored and just ephemeral.

There is no user account or email address needed but obviously they have your IP address from the device (that can be masked). When you go to Map screen it automatically loads your current location (you can turn off Location Services and use pinch and zoom instead).

The other screens have lots of pop ups for entering flight plans. This is the initial implementation to get digital clearance with ATC instead of phone calls. It's not intended to track you secretly and it's optional for now.

Once LAANC system is fully operational I suspect all apps (even DJI Go) with be tracking flights in certain areas. It's inevitable once the technology allows for it -- then will begin the cat and mouse game with folks trying to circumvent it.
I get it. I’ll just abide by the rules.

I get it. I’ll just abide by the rules.

That's my strategy as well.

The only problem following the FAA regulations is when they are contradictory, vague and in a constant state of flux. Then there's the federal, state and local rules often in conflict.

I wonder if over time the rules will become simplified or just impossibly complex and confounding.

That's my strategy as well.

The only problem following the FAA regulations is when they are contradictory, vague and in a constant state of flux. Then there's the federal, state and local rules often in conflict.

I wonder if over time the rules will become simplified or just impossibly complex and confounding.
Often the case with the generation of new legislation. Governments cobble together a load of new laws based on “populist” attitudes to something and little of it is joined up thinking. Let’s see how it plays out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme