Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why can't the rules be clearer?

I B Spectre

Join
Aug 16, 2019
In years gone by I was an active private pilot. The actual skills weren't difficult for me, but preparing for the written test was a serious challenge. The FARs read as you would expect most government regulations and there's a bunch of them. I was fortunate in that I worked with my CFI and we talked during breaks and lunch, plus I used a Gleim book as a prep aid. I haven't flown since 2001 for a variety of reasons, but stepping into the sUAS arena means I need to ensure I have a grasp of the rules and regs from the FAA, state and local authorities for safe, responsible drone operation.

The regs for operation of a manned aircraft have evolved over many decades and the bulk of information is well defined. Framework for sUAS ops is evolving at a relatively fast pace. I try to stay abreast of pertinent information by reading official information. I have written before about how unhelpful FAA sectional charts are for drone pilots, so I use AirMap and the FAA's Visualize It. They show where the NFZs are, but what is far less clear is how to handle the many areas iwith orange circles on AirMap depicted as "Airport Faciities" they define as "Airport location buffers are displayed for situational awareness". These are non-towered airfields or seaplane bases, so I presume they are Class G airspace which extends from the surface up to 700 feet. There are a lot of these "facilities" in my neck of the woods, so they deserve consideration. Thing is, AirMap provides no information on this, they just draw the orange circle and give you the facility names when you click on them. Finding out that non-towered airfields, their Class G airspace classification and the altitude limits of that classification was deduced by researching several sources.

Why can't it be simpler if the authorities are trying to aid drone operations for newcomers to the NAS? AirMap is a wonderful resource and shows the necessary information on towered airfields, restricted areas, national parks/wildlife areas, and NFZs, but falls short in other areas. It gets even murkier with state restrictions. Neither AirMap nor Visualize It address this and I understand it becomes even more convoluted when states and municipalities enact their own restrictions. I've found some sites online that list restrictions by state and even some counties/municipalities, but at present there is no single point of reference to aid the sUAS operator. Does any of this frustrate those of you trying to fly responsibly? Please excuse the rant, but it shouldn't have to be this difficult.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
As you said, manned aircraft stuff has been around a long time. Drone apps and laws are still very new. As examples, Part 107 stuff is just 3 years old, and the recreational test is still in the development stages, and the LAANC system is like a newborn baby.

Be patient and I’ll bet they’ll be more advanced apps, especially when LAANC grows to more airports and drone flight tracking systems get incorporated.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Perhaps this is one of the reasons that all recreational pilots in the United States will be required to take a basic aeronautical knowledge test soon.

Part 107 Remote Pilots already know where to look, as their required knowledge (and initial/recurrent test) deals heavily with the NAS and the various resources (like sectional charts, NOTAMS, TAFs/METARs, etc.).

These commercial pilots are also familiar with (or better be) federal, local and state regulations.

I agree it can be daunting at times, but if recreational pilots want to be fully integrated into (and take advantage of their privileges in) the National Airspace System they need to be certain of the airspace in which they are operating.

Perhaps this will become simpler once the FAA releases a study guide for the upcoming recreational sUAS pilot test... the assumption here is if they offer a test, they need to offer a study guide.

Of course I’m sure the plethora of both aviation schools and self-proclaimed “educators “will jump on the gravy train to offer up all kinds of classes for people preparing for this test...for a fee.

Reactions: I B Spectre
In years gone by I was an active private pilot. The actual skills weren't difficult for me, but preparing for the written test was a serious challenge. The FARs read as you would expect most government regulations and there's a bunch of them. I was fortunate in that I worked with my CFI and we talked during breaks and lunch, plus I used a Gleim book as a prep aid. I haven't flown since 2001 for a variety of reasons, but stepping into the sUAS arena means I need to ensure I have a grasp of the rules and regs from the FAA, state and local authorities for safe, responsible drone operation.

The regs for operation of a manned aircraft have evolved over many decades and the bulk of information is well defined. Framework for sUAS ops is evolving at a relatively fast pace. I try to stay abreast of pertinent information by reading official information. I have written before about how unhelpful FAA sectional charts are for drone pilots, so I use AirMap and the FAA's Visualize It. They show where the NFZs are, but what is far less clear is how to handle the many areas iwith orange circles on AirMap depicted as "Airport Faciities" they define as "Airport location buffers are displayed for situational awareness". These are non-towered airfields or seaplane bases, so I presume they are Class G airspace which extends from the surface up to 700 feet. There are a lot of these "facilities" in my neck of the woods, so they deserve consideration. Thing is, AirMap provides no information on this, they just draw the orange circle and give you the facility names when you click on them. Finding out that non-towered airfields, their Class G airspace classification and the altitude limits of that classification was deduced by researching several sources.

Why can't it be simpler if the authorities are trying to aid drone operations for newcomers to the NAS? AirMap is a wonderful resource and shows the necessary information on towered airfields, restricted areas, national parks/wildlife areas, and NFZs, but falls short in other areas. It gets even murkier with state restrictions. Neither AirMap nor Visualize It address this and I understand it becomes even more convoluted when states and municipalities enact their own restrictions. I've found some sites online that list restrictions by state and even some counties/municipalities, but at present there is no single point of reference to aid the sUAS operator. Does any of this frustrate those of you trying to fly responsibly? Please excuse the rant, but it shouldn't have to be this difficult.

um you better reword this the rules only came into play in the last 5 years.. decades ago there was no usas drone stuff.... or rules or model rules for us old timers that fleq on 75mhz and without this stupid fly by wire crap we have now.. there was no gps there was no altitude hold etc... this is why there are rules because it was hard to fly back then now you got idiots this is why there are rules...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe