Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why did you purchase your "Spark"

Why did you buy the Spark?

• Size

Votes: 61 81.3%
  • Use of pilot visual que for control

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • Price

Votes: 24 32.0%
  • Color choices

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simplicity of Camera (2 axis)

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Ease of use

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • Optional control by phone, tablet or Spark Controller

Votes: 10 13.3%

• Total voters
I have A Mavic Pro and am older P3P, but I think I will take Spark along on more travels being smaller. Also think crowns will enjoy the launch and take pics with your hand aspect.

The gesture control really did it for me along with the lower price and small less intimidating size. Had the Mavic Pro but was bored with it after a short time and sold it. Hoping this one will be more fun to use,

I need more than 2 choices (although I picked just 2). For me it was (in order of importance):
Size
Photo & Video quality
Ease of use
Price

I mainly want to carry something around in my small RV that has quality photo/video and quick & easy to grab shots with. Was about to buy a Mavic, but waited a few weeks for the reveal and I'm glad I did.

Why I ordered it?
With this thing I can sail my yacht and fly at the same time, alone! Should enable me to make a nice promo clip to sell the boat. With my Inspire1 I could never do that without a sailing crew (that doesn't know my boat) and a separate boat to launch and control the Inspire1 from.

Other than that I could use it for projects that require flying indoor or close to persons .
And I will take it with me always. It can even do 'making off' shots while flying an operation. Indoor shots of talents in my recording studio also seem like a nice idea, and selfies while playing with my band.
The ideas are endless. I will need a much bigger hard drive for all that I can capture at unexpected moments and places.

Sure, the 4K footage would be crispier and deeper, but the shots this little thing will allow me to take, will be priceless. It's not only about number of pixels, it's about emotion and being somewhere at the right time with the right drone.

Reactions: Advexure
I bought this on impulse, just like most everything I buy, lol. But seriously I'm addicted to flying my Mavic, this hobby is so much fun. The Spark will only fuel my addiction, huhuh. Also for my son to fly, we can fly together. It's a good Father/son bonding, can't wait to get it.

I bought the Spark because I tend to buy every new techie gadget on the market

Make that 3 of us. As I've stated elsewhere, the Spark will probably live in the hatch of my car for those times that the Mavic isn't around.

I'm an old guy and I'm trying to spend all my money before I die. I can afford to lose it in $500 chunks.

I wish my wife only lost our money in $500 chunks... :eek:

I was on redtube one night. I kept getting pop ups reminding me if i wanted a drone reduction.

But seriously...
I follow rules with Phantom and Mavic. This means flying in desolated places like beaches and along the coast. I noticed i rarely film myself or people due to regulations. As a result, it was just boring flyovers.

The spark on the other hand will be more personal and more action like. Similar to a Gopro is when strapped to a helmet or bike. I want the Spark to be the little-not-so-daunting-stabilised-footage-aerial-gopro that sits near my shoulder when i'm doing things like fishing/boarding etc. I am hoping that i will be more 'loose' with flying as this 300g sucker isnt going to do much physical harm or personal damage compared to Mavic or Phantom (i got the Basic no controller package so it's distance and speed restricted).

I hope people would just laugh at it's size and ignore it.
I showed my gf the white spark, 'haha', she says. 'Its so small and cute and only last a few minutes'.

Last edited:
While I liked my Phantom 2 V2.0 with full FPV and Hero 3+ Black ... it was just to cumbersome. It takes too long to get setup to fly. It draws too much attention. I need something more flexible for my video work. Something that I can pull out and launch. Something that I can use around people and yet easily conform to good safety standards. I really think the Spark is going to fit my needs better than a Phantom ever did.

I bought the spark bc I had a mavic preordered at launch and cancelled my order after 2 months of waiting. I never bought a mavic since then bc I realized that it was flawed (touch focus, color distortion, horizon tilt, smaller fov, etc.) and would rather wait until mavic 2. The spark looks more polished and will last me until a mavic 2 comes out likely in 2018. I also wanted a drone that my wife could fly so that she and I can enjoy this great hobby together.

Don't get me wrong the mavic is a fantastic machine but it is simply not good enough for the price. I am glad after all the frustration that I never bought one. I would not be able to buy the spark if I did and I wouldn't have been able to fly the mavic that much over the winter anyway.

Size!

I had a Phantom, and I always felt self conscious about flying it. People didn't like it going near them. Plus, it was a pain to take anywhere.
The Spark is perfect for what I want, to film days out in National Parks, and at the beach, holidays etc.

Size for me as well. I absolutely love my Mavic but there are situations where I still desire something smaller. From what I've seen having a Spark for 24 hours now, it can easily be tossed in a bag or backpack for on-the-go stuff. Yes, Mavic can do that but it took up a good amount of space in a backpack still. I really like how durable the gimbal seems on the Spark, you can toss it and store it where you wish without having to worry and not having to keep track of a gimbal lock and cover.

A small play with me drone, that you can fly and play, not as serious as the Mavic footage.

Half the price of Mavic Pro, but more than half of the features and fun. Thus better value in my book. I'm not a videographer, just want to document events and adventures.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe