Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Why I sent my Spark back

mysticalice

Join
Jul 21, 2017
Thought i'd share this. I'll start by saying I'm DJI's biggest fan. I still have my Phantom 1 and 2, and long before live video streams on the Phantoms was a 'thing', I had my Phantom 1 wired up (probably early to mid 2013). I've contributed a lot to PhantomPilots over the years, and thought the Spark would be a good product.

First reason - the DJI GO 4 app is a battery hog on Android.
I thought it might just be a bad experience, but tried it on my other phone, and same issue. Even after closing out the app forcefully, for some reason it still drains battery. In the image (attached), I hadn't used the app at all, and several times throughout the day, as is habit, i'd close all apps (typically done when I lock the phone, after a phone call, etc).

Some have said "just reinstall the app when you want to use it". This is, to me, not a viable (or realistic) solution. It's like saying Microsoft Windows has an issue, so just install Windows every time you want to use it.

Second reason - to me, whether it's acknowledged as one or not, not being able to switch between the phone as a controller and the hardware controller is a bug, and a huge one. I'm not talking about using both at the same time, but if I've used my phone as the controller, and I want to instead switch to the remote control for longer distance control, I have to power down the Spark, then reset the wireless, then walk through the pairing process. Not extremely time consuming, but to have to perform it every time I want to switch from cellphone control to external remote control is just ridiculous

Third reason is not as compelling, but the gesture controls are not where they need to be just yet. Good to see progress being made in this area though.

Indoor flying is a huge perk for the Spark, and something i'm impressed with. I can't wait to see in 6 months where this device is and what it's capable of, and at that time i'll likely be purchasing again. I'm a huge fan of DJI, and can't wait for them to go public :)

Anyway, hoped my feedback might help someone else considering purchasing, so at least they won't be disappointed or surprised.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-27-17-53-12.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-27-17-53-12.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 58
Regarding the battery: just after finishing work enter the menu and close the active application by force. Normal exit from the application does not release memory. Yes. it is a bug.

Connecting your phone or RC is just as easy. Just hold down the power button. One sound is pairing with the phone, you keep the two beeps - pairing with the RC. I'm wrong?

Gesture control ... you may like it or not ;)

I understand. I am getting an occaisional disconnect that can't be solved. Not happy.......I hate wifi as a method of transmission. My Mavic occusync system has never failed me in 8 months of flights.

Regarding the battery: just after finishing work enter the menu and close the active application by force. Normal exit from the application does not release memory. Yes. it is a bug.

Connecting your phone or RC is just as easy. Just hold down the power button. One sound is pairing with the phone, you keep the two beeps - pairing with the RC. I'm wrong?

Gesture control ... you may like it or not ;)

Unless someone with more experience corrects me, its not that easy you have to go through the pairing process which is initiated by the first beep of the drone.

Vinny

Unless someone with more experience corrects me, its not that easy you have to go through the pairing process which is initiated by the first beep of the drone.

Vinny
Yes, you have to pair the RC after using wi-fi. Which is blooming annoying, especially if you want to throw it for a quick shot on your travels.

Reactions: Vinny Loyola

Not quite that simple. You have to reset wifi on the drone every time, put the controller in pairing mode, press the button combination (which sometimes takes two or three tries), etc.

Again - not a huge problem if i did it once every few weeks, but i switch between phone and controller frequently, and to me the whole appeal of the Spark was a quick, easy, painless experience. (ex: Got a group of friends together, let's get the Spark in the air to take some photos of us.)

Yup, GO4 is a brutal hog on Android. It seems that it runs a background process that constantly checks your location for NFZ and map data. Bulk of the drain is due to radio use.

If you are on Android 7, use Data Saver. This will limit background processes from calling on the radio. If pre-7, download Doze from the Play store. Does the same thing, with more customization. Even if not using GO4, both help with other apps draining battery (and using mobile data).

Reactions: cdstarr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast