Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Wifi?

yrebud

Join
Apr 24, 2019
Hello, bit confused. Do i need to connect to the spark controllers wifi if im using the otg cable?
I flew the drone today for the first time without wifi and wondered what the benefits would be of connecting to the controllers wifi if any?
Would the wifi give me better range?
Do you have 2 options of connecting to the drone, wifi and the otg cable?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello, bit confused. Do i need to connect to the spark controllers wifi if im using the otg cable?
I flew the drone today for the first time without wifi and wondered what the benefits would be of connecting to the controllers wifi if any?
No you don't. If you are using the OTG cable, do not connect to the controller's WiFi. No difference in range since that has nothing to do with the connection between phone and controller.

Many say OTG is more reliable and consistent but honestly I've never seen it. I use my Spark with the WiFi connection only and it works great. In fact with various firmware updates the OTG connection has been less than reliable.

Many, many people swear by the otg but I myself have always used the Wi-Fi and have never had any problems on the 2.8G band, but I do lose communication at times of it switches to the 5G band. Try it both Wi-Fi or otg and see what makes you happy.

First of all, welcome to the forum. Regarding the specific questions you have asked, please find the answers below. There are also a number of threads in this forum where WiFi vs OTG has been debated/discussed. You can use the search option on the top right of this page and read for yourself.

Do i need to connect to the spark controllers wifi if im using the otg cable?
No. You can either use an OTG cable to connect the RC with your mobile device or you can connect via WiFi.

That's a debatable topic. Many swear by OTG (I belong to that club) whereas others find that WiFi itself is good enough. The only way to find out is to try both and see what works best for you.

No.

The drone and RC are always connected via WiFi.
The RC and mobile device can either be connected by WiFi or OTG cable.

Last edited:
I just picked up a otg and find I have better control of my Spark due to no lag what so ever. Before it would glitch and I'd find myself over adjusting because I didn't have a clear picture.

Remember to disable all blutooth stuff you may have around you... it can make things most unreliable. I use OTG and Airplane mode every time. I used the wifi between smartphone and controller on my first couple of flights, I found the OTG experience smoother and less glitchy. All my flights have been OTG since those days.

One advantage that I found using Wi-Fi is that I can use a connector (usb/lightning to hdmi) that connects to the phone be it IOS OR Android (cost is 30-50 usd)that allows output to an H DMI source whether it be goggles a TV/monitor or my Fatshark or DJI goggles and it works great! IOS is better. I've used this method with an S7, S9 IPHONE 7, IPHONE X, and an IPAD MINI 4.

Note, the DJI goggles dont work well when hooked up via the DJI method. Straight hdmi is better.

Fly safe!

One advantage that I found using Wi-Fi is that I can use a connector (usb/lightning to hdmi) that connects to the phone be it IOS OR Android (cost is 30-50 usd)that allows output to an H DMI source whether it be goggles a TV/monitor or my Fatshark or DJI goggles and it works great! IOS is better. I've used this method with an S7, S9 IPHONE 7, IPHONE X, and an IPAD MINI 4.

Note, the DJI goggles dont work well when hooked up via the DJI method. Straight hdmi is better.

Fly safe!
Does that allow you to view the Ipad and the goggles at the same time?

Yes, what you see on screen (phone)whether it be your flight app or other app( anything) displays exactly as shown on any device that accepts hdmi input. iOS works great, some android's don't/won't use full screen. However personally I use IOS to fly my dji product. Keep in mind that it will only work when the controller connects remotely to the phone (wifi/bluetooth) and the usb/lightning port is available

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers