Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

YAW

You still have to be super light on the stick. Its a bit of an art. One thing that improves the footage is to move forward, backward, up or down whilst yawing.... Hovering stationary and panning around is never truly smooth, even with Tripod mode and the lightest touch on the controls.

You can slow the YAW rate even more with this:
BEFORE you begin installing, if you have the current version of DJI Assistant 2, rename the directory it is installed in.
C:\Program Files (x86)\DJI Product\DJI Assistant 2A or whatever you prefer.
1.1.2 installs into the same directory and will hose everything unless you rename something in the path.
1.1.2 is not capable of performing future firmware upgrades (or any from what I saw)
After you change that, make sure you update the shortcuts.

Once you get that, follow the instructions in the video to connect and turn on your controller.
Go to basic settings on the left.
Remote Controller on the top.
Control EXP on the bottom.

In here on the right, you can control the max pitch angle, max ascent, max descent and the YAW rate.
On the left, you can change the sensitivity of the sticks (not the rate).
I used this to change the YAW/ Roll sensitivity because in Sport, seems like I would sneeze on the sticks and the craft & Camera would tilt max.

Again, the controller stores these settings so it must be on for the programming.
Also, there is a screen for P & A (position & Atti modes) and then a screen for Sport.
Switch to sport mode on the controller to change the sport settings.
Settings are auto saved.

Even if done slowly, the yaw on a Spark is going to be low-quality, due to its 2-Axis gimbal. As another member suggested, try moving in a direction while performing a yaw. This will reduce the stuttering problem that the Spark is notorious for. Getting cinematic shots with the Spark can be somewhat tricky, but definitely possible with practice.

Even if done slowly, the yaw on a Spark is going to be low-quality, due to its 2-Axis gimbal. As another member suggested, try moving in a direction while performing a yaw. This will reduce the stuttering problem that the Spark is notorious for. Getting cinematic shots with the Spark can be somewhat tricky, but definitely possible with practice.

It can be done:

It can be done:

It can be done to a certain degree. This video doesn’t represent smooth yaw movement, nor is it cinematic. Have you flown a 3-Axis gimbal drone? If so, you’d recognize this fault immediately.

In addition, the best cinematic movements rarely use stationary yaw when compared to the traditional shooting styles in movies. The Spark’s biggest structural limitation is the 2-Axis gimbal. It is what it is.....

I have built 3 axis drones - funny, 200 flights earlier:

Yes, I know the limitations of 2 axis.
But a spark can pull it off.
Matter of fact, in the DJI forum, a guy mentioned his Inspire 2 was damaged on the way to a production shoot.
He used his Spark instead and that footage was used in the final production.

Don't under-sell it and I won't over-sell it :D

Reactions: RPL
Definitely not underselling it. I love my Spark, and use it more than my nicer DJI model. However, it’s still important to understand how/why it behaves the way it does. Many first-timers on here are still learning the basics of flight physics and aircraft control, gimbal tech and shooting style(s). Knowing it’s limitations ahead of time helps these members capitalize on what it does best, not struggle with what it does worst. I’d agree that a skilled pilot can manipulate its capabilities, but this is the anomaly when looking at the forum as a whole. Lastly, I’m a huge advocate of the Spark, and use it for 100% of the photos I take. As for video, I pick and choose what I think it will work best for. Many of my friends own Sparks, based on my recommendations to buy such a great entry-level drone. Happy Flying!

Reactions: pmshop
Don't place your thumbs over the sticks. Place them on the side.That's how I move the sticks and keep a constant yaw, pitch, roll for cinematic footage.View attachment 6653View attachment 6654

This is a great suggestion and works very well.

It helps greatly in maintaining a constant pressure for a prolonged period thus producing a constant yaw rate.

I have also modified the expo rate for yaw, following the YouTube video on the topic, which helps even further.

This is a great suggestion and works very well.

It helps greatly in maintaining a constant pressure for a prolonged period thus producing a constant yaw rate.
This is what I do also... thumbs against the stem of the stick.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit