Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

107 Certificate

RNMedic127

Join
Feb 4, 2019
Loc
Albuquerque via Boston
Just a quick question: A year ago, when I first got my Spark, I registered the drone with the FAA and I guess I registered it under the 107 certification. I never took the test, but the drone is registered and I have a reg number. Am I still legal? Do I need to re-register as a recreational flyer instead of being registered 107?

You are fine. By registering under the 107 you still retain the ability to fly recreational, or you may fly under 107 when you get your cert. A big difference is that registering under RECREATIONAL, you simply use the same registration number for all your drones, whereas, under PART 107, each drone is registered. Again, even under 107 you can fly all day long as a recreational pilot, but each drone is registered seperately.

What if you did the opposite and originally registered as a hobbiest - bot one drone and then another a year later and then got your 107 certificate? Do you need to pay another $5 and register your most used drone (the one you might use commercially) under 107?

Ok, for this situation, you own a SPARK and a MAVIC AIR

You register yourself under the non Part 107 side
So, you may fly either drone (SPARK and/or MAVIC AIR) as recreational.

You register your (drone) MAVIC AIR under the Part 107 side because it is your revenue earning drone, not the SPARK, but remember you may only pilot the Part 107 registered drone (MAVIC AIR not SPARK) to earn $$$.

I guess it’s the FAA‘s way of saying if ya wanna fly for $$$, we get a small cut as well.

Hope it helps

Reactions: Heckmaniac
I could be overthinking this, but I did the same thing as you originally and decided to register as a recreational flyer and letter my drones with my recreational number. I was concerned that, if something went sideways or if stopped by local law enforcement, they would accuse me of misrepresenting my status as a 107 cert holder.

I am studying now for my 107 and will register my Mavic Air and Parrot Anafi under 107 as I don't ever imagine using my Spark Mini or Tello for commercial use.

I could be overthinking this, but I did the same thing as you originally and decided to register as a recreational flyer and letter my drones with my recreational number. I was concerned that, if something went sideways or if stopped by local law enforcement, they would accuse me of misrepresenting my status as a 107 cert holder.

I am studying now for my 107 and will register my Mavic Air and Parrot Anafi under 107 as I don't ever imagine using my Spark Mini or Tello for commercial use.
I went ahead and registered my EVO under part 107 and left my Spark registered as hobbiest. Got my 107 this past summer.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex