Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

90 degree gimble feels like I'm nerfed.

dragonalumni

Join
Aug 21, 2020
One thing I never really understood until I started flying is how the range of the gimble is from straight down to horizon view. I'm not sure that would be called 90 degrees, but let's say so for a moment. There has already been several times that I wished I could go higher than horizon view, so for example to catch a humans viewpoint looking up at a big tree, or trying to catch the clouds in the sky, actually that sounds funny right but it really annoys me that I can shoot up.

Hopefully someone is going to educate me and explain that I'm just doing it wrong some how. But if I'm not how do you guys cope? Why was the drone made this way (120' would be just amazingly more useful)?

Finally I'm assuming/hoping that the more expensive dji models have something like a 180' gimble, what are the options here?

One thing I never really understood until I started flying is how the range of the gimble is from straight down to horizon view. I'm not sure that would be called 90 degrees, but let's say so for a moment. There has already been several times that I wished I could go higher than horizon view, so for example to catch a humans viewpoint looking up at a big tree, or trying to catch the clouds in the sky, actually that sounds funny right but it really annoys me that I can shoot up.

Hopefully someone is going to educate me and explain that I'm just doing it wrong some how. But if I'm not how do you guys cope? Why was the drone made this way (120' would be just amazingly more useful)?

Finally I'm assuming/hoping that the more expensive dji models have something like a 180' gimble, what are the options here?

A lot of pilots may not know this, but the gimbal on the Spark can tilt up past the horizon a little bit so that you can see above, but only in TRIPOD MODE.

The top few degrees on the gimbal meter is reserved for the automatic pano shots the Spark does and can be accessed for use in Tripod Mode.

The Sparks gimbal points down about 89 degrees. I have read that some pilots used the Spark for 3D mapping of property and having an issue with the software because the camera doesn't tilt to the full 90.

Last edited:
You're going to have to move up. Both the airs have a setting to tilt up way past 90 degrees. Not 180 however.

Reactions: Spark 317
Tis one of the limitations of the spark. The gimble will actually tilt above the horizontal, 0 degrees, so that it can maintain it's horizontal view during forward flight (while the Spark is tilted forward). If you go into Sport mode and fly forward you can actually see the forward props as it tries to maintain a horizontal view. The gimble is locked in the roll attitude during sport mode. Also, by its construction, there is physical limit to how high you can rotate the gimble before you will start seeing the body of the Spark that houses the forward sensors.

Reactions: sparky markie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme