Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Advantages / Disadvantages - 336 vs 107

Tomel

Join
Aug 12, 2018
Fairly new to the hobby, but have been going over material that you need to know to pass the 107 exam. I do not plan to fly my drone for any commercial purposes, but it still appears beneficial to have the 107. For instance, being able to fly based on knowledge of the airspace restrictions instead of just the fixed 5-mile from an airport limit. Other than the need to study, the $150 cost, and the need to renew every 2 years, can someone list the pros and cons of the 336 vs the 107 (again, ignoring the business aspects where the 107 would be required).

Thanks.

Reactions: BigAl07
My first suggestion is to not put too much weight in 336 because "hopefully" within 12 months the revised version will be in effect and I'd bet it's going to look a LOT like Part 107 does.

Part 107 operators can also fly "just" as hobbyists too. You pick which set of regulations you're going to follow and the entire flight is to be completed within those regs. You can't mix & match within the same flight.

I think it's an AWESOME idea for everyone to know and follow FAA rules such as Part 107 and look forward to the differences between Civil Operations and Hobby Operations being minimized.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
Under 107 you cannot fly after sundown but you can as hobbyist. I personally don't though.

First off, section 336 is going away in favor of Part 101E.
Basically the same stuff, just reorganized.

The only advantage I see Part 107 over Part 101E is you can fly in restricted areas with the permission of the FAA.
Case in point, I got DJI to unlock my Spark for a flight at The Fountains at Bellagio Las Vegas.
Anyone familiar with the Las Vegas strip knows it is within 1 mile of McCarran International Airport.
I contacted the FAA rep and he said I had to be 107 certified to fly in Class B airspace for that region.
Even for hobbyist purposes.

As mentioned before, Part 107 can fly as part 101E.
Deciding factor is if you are making money (part 107) or not (Part 101E).

First off, section 336 is going away in favor of Part 101E.
Basically the same stuff, just reorganized.

The only advantage I see Part 107 over Part 101E is you can fly in restricted areas with the permission of the FAA.
Case in point, I got DJI to unlock my Spark for a flight at The Fountains at Bellagio Las Vegas.
Anyone familiar with the Las Vegas strip knows it is within 1 mile of McCarran International Airport.
I contacted the FAA rep and he said I had to be 107 certified to fly in Class B airspace for that region.
Even for hobbyist purposes.

As mentioned before, Part 107 can fly as part 101E.
Deciding factor is if you are making money (part 107) or not (Part 101E).

All I can add is making $$ is but one condition that excludes the operator from being a hobbyist. If you do not completely fit inside the well defined Hobbyist "protective bubble" you are by default operating as a Part 107 operation even if you don't hold your Part 107.

Here's a write I did a while back (a couple of terms might need revising) about this very topic:

CIVIL vs Hobbyist (Part 107 vs Part 101)

The problem stems from our own misunderstanding of the regulations and how they were intended. Part 107 does not mean specifically "Commercial Operations" even though everyone (even the FAA) associates Part 107 with Commercial Use. It's even noted as the "Commercial UAS Rules" by the FAA. Commercial Operations are but one portion of what Part 107 encompasses.

Part 107 technically "allows" for "CIVIL" UAS operations. Part of that "civil" operation can certainly be commercial operations but doesn't exclude other flights that are not "Commercial". This is why Search & Rescue, Crop Inspections, Training & Education and many other flights require Part 107 even though they may not “directly” involve the exchange of $$. Surprisingly to many people, even voluntary flights that do not fall fully inside the Hobby/101 bubble do require Part 107 without any $$/compensation at all.

Therefore, if you are not in full compliance with Part 101 and you're not on an Exemption or Public Use COA, you are operating as a civil UAS and Part 107 applies.

Here is a direct quote from a friend of mine with the FAA:

"Think of it this way: Everyone is a civil UAS operator, subject to Part 107 (Public Use excluded). Now, Congress mandated that certain operators be left alone (not subject to Part 107) if they are operating as a hobbyist and codified law to describe what a hobbyist operation must adhere to. The FAA took that law and regurgitated it into Part 101. So, if you're going to claim that you are NOT flying under Part 107, you must follow all of Part 101, or else you revert back to Part 107 regulations."

Therefore, if you are not in 100% compliance with Part 101 and you're not on an Exemption or Public Use COA, you are operating as a Civil UAS operator and Part 107 applies. Part 107 CIVIL Operations is the Default and Part 101 (Hobby) is a narrow exclusion (aka carve out) to Part 107. If any portion of your flight/operation falls outside of Hobby/Part 101 then you automatically fall under Part 107 regulations. You’re either INSIDE the hobby/Part 101 box completely or you’re outside hobby/Part 101 which means operating as a Part 107 Operation and must follow those rules. A single flight is either 100% Hobby or it is 100% Civil/Part 107. We can’t mix & match the regulations within a single flight. The FAA has left no grey area in this matter and closed all the Loop Holes many moons ago.

Reactions: Gryphon962
Best parts of part 107

It puts you at ease to know what airplanes do, for example altitudes and traffic patterns near small class g airports. For example.. most traffic patterns are to the left... runway numbers correspond to compass directions .. I know the Newark airport class B airspace above my house starts at 3000 feet.. if you buy a radio you will be able to under stand what planes are doing around airports..

You will under stand TFRs and will know that you will be grounded before the DJI APP makes you land in a lake. Lol didn’t happen to me

You do not need to call class g airports to fly( most small airports are class g but you will know how to read the aeronautical map to know what class they are )In NJ this is big because it’s hard to even figure out how to call all the airports and heliports within 5 miles.

You can quickly get authorizations to fly in controlled air space near airports using Lancc If you want to take pictures that you plan on trying to sell or even might sell then you are allowed to use this under part 107.. actually the law even states that if you are taking pictures for free for a realtor friend you still fall under part 107.

Although I have applied for any waivers yet.. you can for instance get a waiver to not have to follow a specific rule... for flying out of vlos for instance..

Studying for your part 107 will make you more interested in flying.. I’m thinking about taking lessons to fly real planes now...

I used Gold Seal and think it is definitely worth the money. I think everyone should get certified. It will make you fly safer and you could possibly make some money doing what you enjoy.

Yeah about that "taking pictures for free for your realtor friend" is illegal without part 107.
Here is what I found out that really surprised me.
If the realtor uses someone that is not Part 107...even if it is the realtor themself getting the pics...if they are not part 107, the realtor can lose their license.

Studying is easy.
Remote Pilot 101 seems to be the best out there.
As far as testing facilities, go to your nearest municipal airport and ask the manager or the pilots where is the best facility.
I was thinking the nearest for me would be best.
The local pilots said make the extra trip to this facility over 1.5 hrs away.
Very nice facility according to the pilots.

I wish realtors and wedding photographers knew that because it seems like most photos for those professions are being taken by someone without part 107

Would be nice if the FAA AND gov. Would start enforcing the laws and regulations before adding more laws and regs.

Reactions: pmshop
That is the thing that got me to thinking should I or should I not get the Part 107.
Another case in point:
A major flood came through in October of 2018.
I uploaded the drone videos I took to a local TV station as part of an "iReport" type thing, no compensation.
They posted on YouTube - look at the view count!

All that said,
Once I get my Part 107 and start trying to make money with it, what is going to stop a butthead like me from cutting me? ???

WOW! now it is feeling like Facebook around here :D

Gold Seal was excellent . Enjoyable and they Guarantee that you will pass the test or they pay. You have to get a 80 or higher in their final.. Mr. Still who started that online site actually gets back to you immediately with questions.. He and his instructions are always responding on Facebook too.

Gold Seal was excellent . Enjoyable and they Guarantee that you will pass the test or they pay. You have to get a 80 or higher in their final.. Mr. Still who started that online site actually gets back to you immediately with questions.. He and his instructions are always responding on Facebook too.

I agree 10000%. They are 2nd to none and they teach you the subject matter as opposed to how to pass the test. Night and Day difference :)

Yeah about that "taking pictures for free for your realtor friend" is illegal without part 107.
Here is what I found out that really surprised me.
If the realtor uses someone that is not Part 107...even if it is the realtor themself getting the pics...if they are not part 107, the realtor can lose their license.

Studying is easy.
Remote Pilot 101 seems to be the best out there.
As far as testing facilities, go to your nearest municipal airport and ask the manager or the pilots where is the best facility.
I was thinking the nearest for me would be best.
The local pilots said make the extra trip to this facility over 1.5 hrs away.
Very nice facility according to the pilots.
I just took my 107 test. 97% passed. I really liked prepware.com book. Bought it on amazon Remote Pilot Perp 2019 edition. About $15 and you get 5 online practice tests. Also view Northup’s YouTube on the 107 test.

Agree on Northrop video. So far I haven't paid for any books, courses, etc. I'm taking all of the free online tests I can find and focusing on the subject areas where I answer incorrectly. The last couple of tests I've scored around 90%. Airspace questions are the hardest, especially determining when something is AGL or MSL - although it's gradually beginning to sink in. Maybe it's just my 72 year old brain!

So I’m very new to this. And I’m trying to figure out if I need to do the 107. I don’t use this for ANYTHING but recreation.

Last edited:
A 107 is for people that will get compensated for flying. Compensation can be in the form of reciprocal rights such as you could enter an event for free if you agree to take pictures for the event or if you are paid for your work, cash check etc. Another reason could be if you want to fly within controlled airspace. Hobbyists can get verbal clearance from the controlling tower. I got my 107 for two reasons: 1) I wanted to learn about the rules; 2) I can use apps like Kittyhawk or AirMap and file a flight plan and gain instance authorization via the app as long as my plan conforms to the airspace.

Summary you don’t need it for recreational flying. Regardless you need to understand the airspace in which you will fly.

I have a FAA ATP for helicopters but haven't flown professionally in 18 years, so because I'm not 'current' I will need to need to do same test for UAS as people who have never flown anything. Seems odd - you think anyone who had any FAA pilot cert, or at the very least any commercial license would get a fast track / check in the box way to the 107 cert.

EDIT: I watched the Tony Northrop youtube vid, did a few practice tests, and all the knowledge came flooding back, so I went down to the test center and passed. Ironically, it seems the real test is getting your application completed in IACRA; you have to love federal IT systems.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe