Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Airport said "ALWAYS A NO TO FLY"

mg1000

Join
Sep 19, 2017
whats guys. im 4.8 miles away from mainly a helicopter airport in nj. & i called them & a gentlemen said the answer from us is always a NO due to high traffic. im in the yellow jus outside the red on the nfz map. wat are my opions. dont plan to fly high over 100ft & far (2 block)being that this is my 1st drone & i still wanna keep my eye on it. should.i said f%$& it & fly neways or jus go to the one model plan airfield that we have out here in.
** i jus bought fly more combo this morning in red for $600. was excited but idk now

You need to be carefull where you fly,it can be dangerous if it flys away, try and find a nice open space like a park or a fieldzpractice first,im still new to drones and loving every moment,also i make alot of mistakes

whats guys. im 4.8 miles away from mainly a helicopter airport in nj. & i called them & a gentlemen said the answer from us is always a NO due to high traffic. im in the yellow jus outside the red on the nfz map. wat are my opions. dont plan to fly high over 100ft & far (2 block)being that this is my 1st drone & i still wanna keep my eye on it. should.i said f%$& it & fly neways or jus go to the one model plan airfield that we have out here in.
** i jus bought fly more combo this morning in red for $600. was excited but idk now
Sounds like you are SOL.

What's the airport? OR What class of airspace is your house under?
Also who did you talk to at the airport that gave that answer? Seeking permission or making notification?

There's a host of TFRs that northern NJ has to compete with the next few days that might hold you up for a while. But depending upon the airspace you live in and what number you call at the airport and who you talk to and what rules a flight in question falls under can determine if you're seeking permission or providing notification or if notification is required; and then you'll run into people at airports that give a blanket no or a blanket discouragement, but then you talk to ATC and they say where, when and sure or not there. 4.8 miles, go for a walk and fly down the street when you're outside the 5, assuming there's clear airspace.

You've been clued into some unique traffic considerations around your house you need to make sure to take care in addressing, but you may not be 100% SOL, although I might use an app like kittyhawk or airmap to find a place to fly that requires no communication and is outside the high traffic areas to get comfortable with things.

Here's a video where the airport discourages, but Tower approves:

Last edited:
Here in Alaska, we seem to literally have an airport every other mile on the road system. I got around the notification requirement by getting my part 107 license. Though flying under 107 rules can be more restrictive (cannot fly in controlled airspace without a 3 month air space waiver process). I figure the time it takes me to call a dozen airports, the Part 107 license pays for itself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502