Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

airspace authorization vs waiver (part 107)

PhotoGD

Join
Jun 10, 2018
I'm doing (wanting to) real estate photography around my city. Unfortunately, most of my city is in class C airspace.

Under part 107, I need written authorization or a waiver to fly there.

I'm just wondering if I should apply for authorization, or waiver? It seems waiver takes much longer to get, but lasts up to 4 years.

Authorizations on the other hand only take a few days, but only last up to 24 months and I think you have to define a specific area you are operating in the airspace for each mission, where as the waiver covers the whole airspace. Being that anyone could hire me and their home could be anywhere in the airspace, it would be hard to define an exact location ahead of time...

Any thoughts on this? What did you all do?

I'm doing (wanting to) real estate photography around my city. Unfortunately, most of my city is in class C airspace.

Under part 107, I need written authorization or a waiver to fly there.

I'm just wondering if I should apply for authorization, or waiver? It seems waiver takes much longer to get, but lasts up to 4 years.

Authorizations on the other hand only take a few days, but only last up to 24 months and I think you have to define a specific area you are operating in the airspace for each mission, where as the waiver covers the whole airspace. Being that anyone could hire me and their home could be anywhere in the airspace, it would be hard to define an exact location ahead of time...

Any thoughts on this? What did you all do?
Are you aware of LAANC? Automated Airspace Authorization is Here - AirMap

Where are you located?

Wave 5 (that would cover NY) goes into effect in August. Its likely LAANC would go into effect before you get approval. I applied for an authorization last year and it still took 2 months (in my part of the world). Have you confirmed the participating class c airports in your area?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe