Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Are they worth it?

Driverman930

Join
Sep 29, 2018
I read in other post that the dji goggles don't work that well with a spark. Would it be worth the an up grade to a mav pro to get the most out of the goggles? I have a spark and very happy with it BUT that ocusync with the mav series I read works beyond belief. Any 1st hand experience you care to share

I read in other post that the dji goggles don't work that well with a spark. Would it be worth the an up grade to a mav pro to get the most out of the goggles? I have a spark and very happy with it BUT that ocusync with the mav series I read works beyond belief. Any 1st hand experience you care to share
Yes.
Significant differences in MP vs Spark; particularly with the DJI goggles.
Flight time
Stability in higher winds
Transmission signal
Telemetry display on RC
4K detail (Note: 4K is useless unless you have a computer and monitor than can handle it. However, if you do not have the computer power for 4K, you may have it for 2.7K (MP option), and some argue (myself included) that 2.7K is as good as 4K.
YAW, YAW, YAW, YAW, YAW, YAW enough said? NO! you will not know what you have been missing until you experience the difference.

Therefore, you may want to stick with Spark because it is VERY DIFFICULT to go back to a YAW less drone.

Regarding the goggles, the flight time matters very much. If you use goggles with Spark, you will just be getting into the experience, and it is an awesome experience, when you have to return to replace batteries. Also, you will have to connect the Spark with the goggles using the OTG and other cable. This is not a deal killer, but with the MP, you don't need wires. We used to not have to use a phone when using the MP with the goggles, but that changed. You can use the MP and goggles without a phone, but the range and height is reduced to the degree of not worth it.

Right now, a lot of people are selling their MPs to upgrade to the MPZoom and/or MPPro. If you elect to join them, get the Zoom because you can buy the Pro camera separately, and swap the cameras between a single drone body. You get the best of both worlds at significant cost savings. Swapping the cameras appears to be easy...search YT for how to.
If you only want the original MP (I'm sticking with it), try and find a 'used' Alpine White version. The Alpine White comes with three batteries, it's awesome looking (especially the controller) and you can get one at the same, or comparable cost as the 'black' MP.

My experience with the Spark and the DJI goggles has been GOOD. However, the resolution is 720P when using the goggles and Spark. It is 1080 for the first mile out with the MP, and that's 1080 in each eye. That matters because other software and goggle combinations take your phone resolution, and split in half such that if you have a 1080 phone display you will get 540 in each eye. NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD.

I still fly the Spark, but do not use my goggles with them as I have the MP.

Did I mention YAW?

Spark is a great drone. The size and volume of sound make it very convenient to fly; particularly in town. People are much less intimidated by the Spark. It also has a good video image; particularly the colors when used at the right time of day. I have been trying to dial in the Spark colors on the MP, but no luck. For still pictures, the camera is the same as that of the MP with the same megapixels.

The MP folds up nicely, but has a large span like the Phantom series when unfolded; therefore, I'm hesitant to use it in town, and instead fly out by the local lake, or country side.

Honestly, if it weren't for the Spark's horrific yaw and camera shake, I would not have upgraded to the MP. I really like the Spark.

My recommendation, is to get the goggles in advance of the MP, and see if you like using them at all (Can't imagine you won't as they are fantastic, other than they're huge, and you'll look like a dork with what appears to be a toilet seat on your head. People complain of the weight. It's not bad). Then, once you are comfortable working the track pad of the goggles, and all the other adjustments then consider upgrading to the MP. If you do upgrade, learn the MP WITHOUT the goggles because there is a HUGE difference in app options in the MP vs Spark, and you could be overwhelmed learning both the MP and the goggles at the same time.

You can find goggles for sale regularly, and often for only $250. This matters because some people just don't like them, and/or use them, so they sell them fairly cheap, and it's likely they are in great shape. For as long as I fly a drone, I will NEVER sell my goggles. It's a great experience, but some people can't hand the immersion and/or disorientation. To me, that's the whole of the experience.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Yes.
Significant differences in MP vs Spark; particularly with the DJI goggles.
Flight time
Stability in higher winds
Transmission signal
Telemetry display on RC
4K detail (Note: 4K is useless unless you have a computer and monitor than can handle it. However, if you do not have the computer power for 4K, you may have it for 2.7K (MP option), and some argue (myself included) that 2.7K is as good as 4K.
YAW, YAW, YAW, YAW, YAW, YAW enough said? NO! you will not know what you have been missing until you experience the difference.

Therefore, you may want to stick with Spark because it is VERY DIFFICULT to go back to a YAW less drone.

Regarding the goggles, the flight time matters very much. If you use goggles with Spark, you will just be getting into the experience, and it is an awesome experience, when you have to return to replace batteries. Also, you will have to connect the Spark with the goggles using the OTG and other cable. This is not a deal killer, but with the MP, you don't need wires. We used to not have to use a phone when using the MP with the goggles, but that changed. You can use the MP and goggles without a phone, but the range and height is reduced to the degree of not worth it.

Right now, a lot of people are selling their MPs to upgrade to the MPZoom and/or MPPro. If you elect to join them, get the Zoom because you can buy the Pro camera separately, and swap the cameras between a single drone body. You get the best of both worlds at significant cost savings. Swapping the cameras appears to be easy...search YT for how to.
If you only want the original MP (I'm sticking with it), try and find a 'used' Alpine White version. The Alpine White comes with three batteries, it's awesome looking (especially the controller) and you can get one at the same, or comparable cost as the 'black' MP.

My experience with the Spark and the DJI goggles has been GOOD. However, the resolution is 720P when using the goggles and Spark. It is 1080 for the first mile out with the MP, and that's 1080 in each eye. That matters because other software and goggle combinations take your phone resolution, and split in half such that if you have a 1080 phone display you will get 540 in each eye. NO WHERE NEAR AS GOOD.

I still fly the Spark, but do not use my goggles with them as I have the MP.

Did I mention YAW?

Spark is a great drone. The size and volume of sound make it very convenient to fly; particularly in town. People are much less intimidated by the Spark. It also has a good video image; particularly the colors when used at the right time of day. I have been trying to dial in the Spark colors on the MP, but no luck. For still pictures, the camera is the same as that of the MP with the same megapixels.

The MP folds up nicely, but has a large span like the Phantom series when unfolded; therefore, I'm hesitant to use it in town, and instead fly out by the local lake, or country side.

Honestly, if it weren't for the Spark's horrific yaw and camera shake, I would not have upgraded to the MP. I really like the Spark.

My recommendation, is to get the goggles in advance of the MP, and see if you like using them at all (Can't imagine you won't as they are fantastic, other than they're huge, and you'll look like a dork with what appears to be a toilet seat on your head. People complain of the weight. It's not bad). Then, once you are comfortable working the track pad of the goggles, and all the other adjustments then consider upgrading to the MP. If you do upgrade, learn the MP WITHOUT the goggles because there is a HUGE difference in app options in the MP vs Spark, and you could be overwhelmed learning both the MP and the goggles at the same time.

You can find goggles for sale regularly, and often for only $250. This matters because some people just don't like them, and/or use them, so they sell them fairly cheap, and it's likely they are in great shape. For as long as I fly a drone, I will NEVER sell my goggles. It's a great experience, but some people can't hand the immersion and/or disorientation. To me, that's the whole of the experience.

Hope this helps
Yes it made sense and helped me I will look into the goggles 1st I think. But the mav platinum s intriguing. Been around RC planes my whole life. Just new to the drone thing and I am loving it. To bad faa seems ready to cut the legs off the local hobbyist. Thanks again was helpful!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe