Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Calibrating the IMU and Compass

BushPusher

Join
Sep 7, 2019
I am new to the DJI Spark And have a few questions about Calibrating the IMU and compass ?
1. Should this be done outside or can it be done at the kitchen table making sure there is no metal to effect the calibration in either case.
2. Does the surface used to do the calibrations need to be level or just a stable flat surface that looks level .
3. I have seen and heard some say to do these calibrations every time you use the Spark, And can understand if you have traveled a distance to a new area but is that also true if you just go cross town or nearby like just a half mile away or so.
Your opinion on any of these questions would be very helpful
Thank You for your time Roger

Should this be done outside or can it be done at the kitchen table making sure there is no metal to effect the calibration in either case
For the compass, calibrate it while outdoors. Make sure the aircraft is about 5+ feet away from any magnetic metal objects. Assuming you have no magnetic metal objects on yourself while calibrating the compass, holding the aircraft up at shoulder level is usually enough to keep it away from any potential interference.

For the IMU, while this can be done outdoors, it's usually easiest to find a flat surface indoors. Magnetic metal objects will not negatively affect the IMU calibration, so you don't have to worry about that.

Does the surface used to do the calibrations need to be level or just a stable flat surface that looks level
Use a surface that looks flat (like a table) and make sure that surface cannot move (like a wobbly table) or become disturbed during the calibration process.

I have seen and heard some say to do these calibrations every time you use the Spark
This does not need to be done. Calibrate the compass if DJI GO prompts you to do so. Calibrate the IMU after a crash, if you drop your Spark, or if it's not able to hold its position while hovering (when outside in bright daylight).

about Calibrating the IMU

Just a heads up, when calibrating the IMU, pay attention to the prompts and the location of the DJI logo on the Spark in the prompts.

Some pilots get stuck on step 2 because the image changes quickly and you may not notice that you're supposed to flip the Spark, and the app just sits there until you do.

Reactions: RotorWash
Here's a good video showing how the Spark needs to be positioned when calibrating the IMU:

Thanks for all the replies, I had not seen that video yet
i have been working on the video list from DJI but there is so much to take in .
looking at the video above you would of thought that letting it rest on the motors so it was leaning would throw things off.
Again Thank You All for all the information

If you travel a good distance it is wise to calibrate the compass before flight. A ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure. I travel for work and do this every time I fly as i have noticed that it stoped a lot of connection issues for me. Which makes no sense to me as the compass has nothing to do with the WiFi link.

Reactions: matt48
This is possibly not helpful but we travelled from the UK to SW Florida in May and was not prompted to calibrate and neither did I. Perhaps I was very lucky but post this for what it’s worth.

Reactions: twickers14
Again thank You for all the reply's
My next Question in the same area on the IMU calibration screen their is 2 items Acc1 0.001 and Gyro1 0.001
what are the numbers for and what am i looking for, Do i want a high reading or am i looking for a very low reading like above ?
The reason i am doing these calibrations is i bought the used and it was shipped across the US and from what i understand from reading on the DJI site they recommend doing these calibrations after this kind of travel. shipping is not always a smooth ride .
Roger

Last edited:
As long as it's green, and not yellow or red, you should be good to go.

I think this is the answer to my question.
So when siting on the table the Spark should zeroed out 0.000 and when moving around it will apply a value so the accelerometer and gyroscope now know what it needs to do to stay level. is that basically correct
So with my values siting level at 0.001 that should be good ?

I am new to the DJI Spark And have a few questions about Calibrating the IMU and compass ?
1. Should this be done outside or can it be done at the kitchen table making sure there is no metal to effect the calibration in either case.
2. Does the surface used to do the calibrations need to be level or just a stable flat surface that looks level .
3. I have seen and heard some say to do these calibrations every time you use the Spark, And can understand if you have traveled a distance to a new area but is that also true if you just go cross town or nearby like just a half mile away or so.
Your opinion on any of these questions would be very helpful
Thank You for your time Roger

for imu.. get a app from apple store or android they are free its a level app a digital one.. so you can see 0.00 on both axis that means your drone is level.. so take your phone place it on top of your drone make sure it says close to 0.00 if its 0.03 it does not matter do this on all angles meaning north south east west on top of your drone..... if its unlevel stick little bits of paper under the legs till it is... then imu calibration from the menue dont disturb it let it finish and voila done..

compass afterwards do the dji dance google it if you dont know what that means... then calibrate your camera in the app.. boom done simple

I think this is the answer to my question.
So when siting on the table the Spark should zeroed out 0.000 and when moving around it will apply a value so the accelerometer and gyroscope now know what it needs to do to stay level. is that basically correct
So with my values siting level at 0.001 that should be good ?
yes 0.001 is good if you touch or tap your drone while looking at the numbers they should all fluctuate this is the imu saying your moving the drone in this way etc that means your good if you ever have a number for the imu thats stuck relace the imu board... the imus on dji are sensative in a light crash they fail and stick there is no unsticking them like youtube guys tell you it will us phantom 3 owners know this

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme