Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Desert Wildflowers and Clark Dry Lake Panoramas - Anza Borrego

Nice pictures! I wish the flowers were blooming here. Brrrr!

Reactions: Kendallfordguy
Nice pictures! I wish the flowers were blooming here. Brrrr!
Hi GW, compared to the last few days it looks like you have a relative "Heat Wave" coming with 24-degrees for the overnight low and a high of 47 tomorrow as forecast by NWS for locations near you. Stay warm!

I am so thankful that I don't live in the Midwest. I keep telling myself that it could be worse but the older I get, the harder it is to bear the winters even here for me. Now I know why so many people retire to Florida. :D I would even like to live where you are for the winter months.

I am so thankful that I don't live in the Midwest. I keep telling myself that it could be worse but the older I get, the harder it is to bear the winters even here for me. Now I know why so many people retire to Florida. :D I would even like to live where you are for the winter months.
Winters are really nice in Borrego Springs, CA and the small town (3500 people) swells at this time of year. We hit freezing temps just a handful of times for overnight lows otherwise it's really nice weather with rainfall or high winds being the most exciting events during winter. Summer is "low desert" hot but very dry with the exception of our Monsoon season when we get very active thunderstorms and flash flooding that actually provides most of our rainfall to recharge the aquifer where all our water comes from. I was born, raised and had my career in San Diego and retired to Borrego about 8-years ago and love it out here. I live here year round and have learned to cope in the summer heat better than expected. The dry conditions make it much less brutal than in more humid climates.

Reactions: tmarez
Yes, the humidity here can be bad but I visited New Orleans one time in June. Made me rethink the humidity here in NC in the summertime. I have always heard that the dry heat is way more tolerable in climates like yours. I did watch your video on the flash flood at your house. Amazing that the deserts can shed the water that way. Does anyone there have a lawn or big trees? I did not see any in your video. I would like to see a video of your neighborhood sometime.

Yes, the humidity here can be bad but I visited New Orleans one time in June. Made me rethink the humidity here in NC in the summertime. I have always heard that the dry heat is way more tolerable in climates like yours. I did watch your video on the flash flood at your house. Amazing that the deserts can shed the water that way. Does anyone there have a lawn or big trees? I did not see any in your video. I would like to see a video of your neighborhood sometime.
Hi GW,
When I was working in San Diego the company opened offices in Phoenix and Tucson, AZ. I always hated the heat and I told the guys, who elected to move over there to start these new branches, that they were crazy due to the intense desert heat in summer. They all told me, "yes but it's a dry heat, so it really is not that bad" but still I didn't believed them until moving to the desert myself. They were right.

On the "Do people have lawns?" question, well very few people have lawns, due to the cost of water to keep it alive through summer. Water is expensive down here and it takes a lot of water to keep non-native plants alive in summer. Instead of mowing the lawn down here we rake the dirt :D But all kidding aside if you select the right plants you can have a fairly inviting landscape. When I bought this little house it was 5-years old (built in 2006) and it still hadn't been landscaped, it was just dirt. It was actually a fun project get a yard in place (see below).

Images below show the house from the street and another shows the neighborhood. As you can see it is 100% lower desert terrain down here and it's not for everyone. Personally I truly enjoy being away from the city, whether it's mountains or deserts or anything in between, I love the peace, wildlife and beauty and pretty much zero crime out here.

1549185156160.png

1549185207559.png

Hi GW,
When I was working in San Diego the company opened offices in Phoenix and Tucson, AZ. I always hated the heat and I told the guys, who elected to move over there to start these new branches, that they were crazy due to the intense desert heat in summer. They all told me, "yes but it's a dry heat, so it really is not that bad" but still I didn't believed them until moving to the desert myself. They were right.

On the "Do people have lawns?" question, well very few people have lawns, due to the cost of water to keep it alive through summer. Water is expensive down here and it takes a lot of water to keep non-native plants alive in summer. Instead of mowing the lawn down here we rake the dirt :D But all kidding aside if you select the right plants you can have a fairly inviting landscape. When I bought this little house it was 5-years old (built in 2006) and it still hadn't been landscaped, it was just dirt. It was actually a fun project get a yard in place (see below).

Images below show the house from the street and another shows the neighborhood. As you can see it is 100% lower desert terrain down here and it's not for everyone. Personally I truly enjoy being away from the city, whether it's mountains or deserts or anything in between, I love the peace, wildlife and beauty and pretty much zero crime out here.

View attachment 8639

View attachment 8640
That is great, I bet the night sky is amazing too.

Nice place and landscaping! As for the peace and quiet, I used to know what that was like as well as seeing a brilliantly star lit sky at night. The Milky Way was very visible as well. I can understand the water conservation efforts in your area. But I like trees too much to live in an environment like that but I am glad that you are happy there.

Nice place and landscaping! As for the peace and quiet, I used to know what that was like as well as seeing a brilliantly star lit sky at night. The Milky Way was very visible as well. I can understand the water conservation efforts in your area. But I like trees too much to live in an environment like that but I am glad that you are happy there.
I originally planned on retiring to Grants Pass, OR, bought a house, rented it while finishing my career, love the country up there. Long story short, I ended up deciding to move down here, just wanted to stay close to home (2-hrs from San Diego), as long as I can remember this was a place where family and friends would escape to and enjoy.

Nice color on the flowers and sky ,did you use a lens filter?
Sorry I missed this...Yes I am using a set of ProPolar NDPL (Neutral Density w/Polarizer) filters for the DJI Spark. As you know that polarizing filters helps remove the sun glare from objects/surfaces to reveal more deep color, especially in foliage, seeing into water and deepening the blue sky. .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast