Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone Travel

Walter Hall

Join
Mar 22, 2018
I am looking for information on how to travel on an airline(s) with my Spark and Batteries. The batteries seem to be the issue, I want to hear what others have done to travel. How to get through TSA and how to approach the airline(s) I will be taking. Thank!

Regards,

MAUIWH

Each airline has their own rules but they are not the ones inspecting your bags.

You are trying to avoid unwanted attention and confiscation of your equipment so best to follow the rules as strictly as possible. It's really easy. Lots of people will post that they "got away with less" precautions but that's not the issue.

The Spark and RC can go be carry on or checked baggage. I favor Spark in carry on (battery removed) due to concern of damage or theft in checked bag. I leave RC in checked bag with joystick cover in place (non-removeable batteries are permitted there).

Loose batteries must be carry on (never in cargo hold). Should be separated (small zip lock bags). Should have metal contacts covered (I used painter's tape because electrical tape leaves adhesive residue). I avoid lipo battery bags because they are attention getting silver metallic and covered with scary warmings. Technically the Spark can have a battery in it but I remove in case they ask about accidental activation (we know that can't really happwn but they don't).

I carry a printed copy of FAA / TSA rules just in case ever questioned but the above steps have made that unnecessary (so far).

People will always post that they got away with taking zero precautions but again --. that wasn't the question.

It takes less than a minute to prepare and have peace of mind that you are in compliance and protecting your fellow passengers.

Last edited:
Just put it in your carry on luggage. It’s not something that’s not allowed. I’ve traveled with my spark a ton and never had a problem. Extra batteries and all. I’m really not sure why everyone thinks the TSA will hassle you over it. I put my spark in my backpack with all my other camera gear.

I’m a pretty frequent flyer. I don’t see the need to “tape terminals” and separate equipment. Personally I wouldn’t pack my controller in checked luggage for the fact that what would you do if that gets lost?

Last week I had my bag taken apart at Newark airport they didn’t even comment on the spark it’s batteries or the camera batteries I had as well. They were more concerned about a small package I had that was gift wrapped. After a rescan it was fine.

My personal thoughts are when you travel with a large hard sided case you draw attention to yourself during the security process.

Reactions: Spark 317
I keep my spark in the hard foam case it came with inside a small backpack that i use for a carry on. I also keep the remote control in the backpack. I leave the battery in the drone. No problems traveling with that setup.

I am looking for information on how to travel on an airline(s) with my Spark and Batteries. The batteries seem to be the issue, I want to hear what others have done to travel. How to get through TSA and how to approach the airline(s) I will be taking. Thank!

Regards,

MAUIWH

I flew from Tucson, AZ to Seattle, WA earlier this month with my Spark and its 2 batteries + RC as a carry-on. No problems whatsoever. I did have a small problem in that I forgot to remove my iPad from my carry-on bag - same bag as the Spark outfit was in. I got a minor scolding from the TSA agent for that but no problems with the Spark.

Just travelled UK to Australia with Etihad only asked to take tablet out of spark case in UK . Otherwise no problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef