Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Experience taking off/landing on or near railway tracks/beds

Northwood Mediaworks

Former Spark & Mavic Air 2 Flyer
Premium Pilot
Join
Jan 15, 2018
Loc
Northern Ontario, Canada
Web
northwoodmediaworks.com
So, I am fairly sure I know this is not a good idea, but was wondering what experiences if any some of you guys might have had in doing so. There is a pond I want to photograph, which has no road or trail access but a rail line runs up alongside it. I am concerned mainly with magentic interference from the rails....

Thoughts?

I've flown above a rail line about 10-15 feet under the canopy of trees and didn't notice any errors.

I was able to hand launch / land standing next to it with no problems.

The only error I received is when I sat the Spark right on the rail for a moment when doing preflight checks.

D'oh !

As a railfan and model railroader: Stay away from the tracks. Usually there is space beside them.

So, I am fairly sure I know this is not a good idea, but was wondering what experiences if any some of you guys might have had in doing so. There is a pond I want to photograph, which has no road or trail access but a rail line runs up alongside it. I am concerned mainly with magentic interference from the rails....

Thoughts?

I did a test flight for you.

0DBE2416-8794-400F-AE45-1DA57733EB45.png
4161CA83-6264-4645-B6B9-453DE5A7A7D0.png
BAE7CE8F-C555-4D7A-941E-CE1C21BEAD38.png

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you don't mind me asking, what screen capture app did you use Spark 317?

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but if you don't mind me asking, what screen capture app did you use Spark 317?

The one that is on the iPad mini 4.

Hold down the power button, then click the home button.

There's a stock screen recorder I use sometimes too.

Most Android devices already have a screen capture ability with similar button clicking but may have to install a screen record app.

Thanks... this is very informative. I may have space beside the tracks as suggested. Not a huge fan of hand launching. Again, thanks guys!

I did sit the Spark centered between the rails on a the railroad tie, spun up the motors and didn't have any errors. I didn't launch though because I'm used to hand launch / land.

Last edited:
Thanks 317 (do you have a real name? ;)) ... I hand land all the time, but the few times I hand launched I seemed to have IMU /compass issues... perhaps my personality is too steely? lol - Funny cuz the wife calls me a bone-head often....:eek:

I would be curious to see your sensor state in those various positions you showed previously. I check my IMU and compass sensor state pre-flight every time.

Thanks again for doing that. I am going to check it out hopefully this weekend if nature lets me get after it... its been really windy up here for the past week or two.. change of season.
:cool:

Thanks Michael! I am used to having almost no interference whatsoever, just a little green speck on the left of both the IMU and Compass bars, typically because of my rural area... however I have seen this light up more down in the city.

Thanks Michael! I am used to having almost no interference whatsoever, just a little green speck on the left of both the IMU and Compass bars, typically because of my rural area... however I have seen this light up more down in the city.

I launched the Spark from the center of the railroad tie with no problems. No signs of it drifting or spinning.

Here’s a shot hovering 2 feet above the rail.

A578C6D9-C4FD-41BD-986E-1364E5AC294D.png

I actually dropped to about a foot with no errors.

Here it is on the rail.

45D83242-E838-44FE-A84E-CFFB2AF8373A.png

I think you’re good to go.:)

Thoughts?
i woulndt take off from ysomewhere else.. that much metal might screw it up...

I launched the Spark from the center of the railroad tie with no problems. No signs of it drifting or spinning.
I think you’re good to go.:)
Thanks again. Hopefully this coming weekend time and weather will be on my side. I am still stacking firewood and am racing the weather on that too, I dont want it getting covered with snow before I stack it! We will be tarping the balance until its all in the wood shed. Oh my aching back!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast