Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA issues new rules for hobbyist drone pilots

H

Haye Kesteloo

FAA-issues-new-rules-for-hobbyist-drone-pilots.jpg

Last Thursday, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) issued new rules for hobbyist drone pilots in an effort to keep the national airspace safe and available for both manned and unmanned aircraft. Hobbyist or recreational drone pilots are no longer exempt under Section 336 and are now required to follow these new FAA rules and regulations. Unfortunately, for the time being, this means that hobbyist or recreational drone pilots are no longer able to fly in controlled airspace at all, with the exception of these designated areas.

Later this summer, when the Low Altitude Authorization and Notification Capability (LAANC) system will be made available to hobbyist drone pilots, they will be required to obtain approval for their flights in controlled airspace through the LAANC system. If this sounds to you like the FAA is putting the horse behind the wagon, then I would agree. However, this is the situation that we are dealing with for now. Keep in mind it will only be temporary until the FAA makes LAANC available to all pilots.

However, this is not all. The FAA will also require all hobbyist drone pilots to take an electronic aeronautical knowledge and safety test. And, you will be required to show proof of you successfully passing the exam to any FAA official or police officer upon request.

Keep reading for all the details of these new rules and what it means to you. If you prefer to watch a 12-minute video instead of reading, I suggest you watch the one below from 51drones.

more…

The post FAA issues new rules for hobbyist drone pilots appeared first on DroneDJ.

Continue reading...

it better be free... and easy i better not have to take a course in college and or remember 100 things... also this is stupid thanks to you stupid people that flied like idiots and ruined it for the rest of us that irks me alot...and now i have to pay to fly every 3 years not cool i mean yea its only 5 bucks but faa is getting millions from it in free money... im going back to under 250 gram racers so i dont have to play these stupid games faa makes

Reactions: pmshop
FAA wants you to pay 5 USD every 3 years, because someone flies "like an idiot"?
Brilliant thought.

FAA wants you to pay 5 USD every 3 years, because someone flies "like an idiot"?
Brilliant thought.
um yea thats why rules are passed because a handful ruin it always for people who follow rules and respect things... like trappy he was the one who started the enforcement with his flying eratically though a campus and hitting people... so yea you can thank idiots for more regulation are you not smart enough to figure that out?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pilot6521