Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA (USA) new proposed rules for UAV Remote-ID and location

If the big drone companies would stand up to this crap instead of bootlicking, that would be great.
I would think companies like DJI would lose revenue because sales would fall off do to the onerous requirements set up by the government. The normal everyday law abiding citizen just won't go through the hassle necessary to register their new drone and parents will not buy their kids drones since they will be liable for their kids violating the federal law. Next the government will be requiring background checks just to buy a drone.
Perhaps that is the government’s plan all along to make the requirements so onerous that your normal law-abiding citizens won’t buy drones.

Last edited:
I've posted a lot on this Remote ID subject in an effort to help disseminate information all drone pilots need to understand and respond to the FAA NPRM. The FAA will reportedly start accepting public input on 12/31/2019 and for 60 days thereafter. I will make an effort to refrain from posting so much until such times as the stakeholders can formulate key points that need to be brought to the FAA via the NPRM.

It is apparent that the FAA chose to ignore many of the recommendations of their own Drone Advisory Committee (DAC) unanimously approved in October, 2019.

FAA Drone Advisory Committe Recommendations

Reactions: Spark 317
This morning, the FAA NPRM has opened for public comment. Before commenting, I went to the Federal Register: Remote ID of UASs and searched for Docket ID: FAA-2019-1100 then looked under the Comment Now button and clicked on the Open Docket Folder to read comments submitted so far to get an idea of what people were saying. None of the submissions, as expected, were positive.

Before I comment, I want to see if anyone brings up important points I may not have considered. To simply state opposition will not be enough, it's not a poll. Presenting sound reasoning as to why the proposal as presented will not accomplish the intended goal is more likely to be considered.

Last edited:
The Comment Now button goes to the page where you make your entry. There is a View Commenter's Checklist you should read prior to submitting comments for maximizing the influence of your input. Here is a direct link to that checklist: Commenter's Checklist (PDF)

I read all 63 comments that were posted as of yesterday and it's obvious very few commenters read the checklist, unfortunately. If you're going to do it, make it count. We're all depending on it.

As a Canukian, at this point I'm just a spectator. Though I'm pretty sure Transport Canada will ultimately follow along with whatever the FAA untimately adopts.

I can see a need for some kind of system to ID drones in flight, particularly commercially operated drones. I believe recreational drones should be dealt with separately. The biggest issue I see with the proposed system is the reliance on an internet connection.

I really don't care if someone monitors and records my flights. (well, most of them) I can modify my flying to ensure I'm within regulation, and so long as there is a simple and responsive system to get clearance for valid flights that might not meet regulations (I'm thinking things like a roof inspection in a no-fly zone), I could live with that. But many, if not most of the places I fly are rural/bush and have no internet, effectively grounding me.

I'm watching to see what develops with keen interest.

But many, if not most of the places I fly are rural/bush and have no internet, effectively grounding me.
Under the current proposal, in a rural/bush scenario where you don't have Internet access you would still be able to fly a Standard Remote ID craft so long as broadcast on the drone is working. If Internet access is available then you must use it to connect to a Remote ID USS otherwise takeoff is disabled. With a Limited Remote ID craft, you must have Internet access and a connection to a RID USS at all times as it has no broadcast function.

Reactions: Barbara
Another suggest I will make is to divide the 400 ft ceiling into vertical sections, say 99 AGL and below is recreational and 100 AGL to 400 AGL uses these rules. Drone manufacturers and build in an attitude limiter unless you are transmitting a Drone id.

That was something I pondered in a potential feedback during the comment period. I like using my Spark for video and while video from 400 ft AGL might be cool the first time, most of the time I'm more interested in a much closer view from 100 ft AGL or below. Particularly with the Spark's wide-angle lens, the framing from 50 ft or less is pretty good.

Under the current proposal, in a rural/bush scenario where you don't have Internet access you would still be able to fly a Standard Remote ID craft so long as broadcast on the drone is working. If Internet access is available then you must use it to connect to a Remote ID USS otherwise takeoff is disabled. With a Limited Remote ID craft, you must have Internet access and a connection to a RID USS at all times as it has no broadcast function.
Ahhh, that's something I missed then, right there on page 109.

So, is this internet connection is being done through a cellular connection? Not sure how the drone itself could connect otherwise. That would then mean that it's going through your smart phone. Most tablets, and CrystalSky users don't have cellular capability. That in turn means you would have to have some kind of App on your phone, which would have to act as a hotspot, to make the connection? What happens then if you lose the WiFi signal between the smartphone and drone?

Too many questions still. Think I'll just sit back and observe as I am still just a spectator at this time.

If cellular coverage is not available due to the lack of towers, I wonder if a satellite phone would work?

I have rented sat phones once when doing a cross country snowmobile trip for safety.

They have satellite hot spot devices today, but nothing is cheap.

Just a thought.

Ahhh, that's something I missed then, right there on page 109.

So, is this internet connection is being done through a cellular connection? Not sure how the drone itself could connect otherwise. That would then mean that it's going through your smart phone. Most tablets, and CrystalSky users don't have cellular capability. That in turn means you would have to have some kind of App on your phone, which would have to act as a hotspot, to make the connection? What happens then if you lose the WiFi signal between the smartphone and drone?

Too many questions still. Think I'll just sit back and observe as I am still just a spectator at this time.
The proposal doesn't go into a lot of the technical details as that's not it's purpose but I would assume most Internet connections would be either cellular for now or eventually low orbit satellite but it can be anything that you can connect to and use. It would be your ground station that would have the connection if it is available and relay the flight information back to a RID USS. As for the drone itself when it broadcasts it doesn't connect to the Internet to do so, it just sends out an omnidirectional radio signal so that other receivers (air or ground) in the local area can pick it up. When it does so it will send out the same information packets as your controller sends back to an USS.

So even if Internet isn't available in the area your SRID drone can still be seen locally at least (like aeroscope) and is the reason you're still allowed to fly without service. Page 94 lays it out pretty well but there are bit and pieces throughout the document. No where in the doc does it state the craft itself has to have an direct Internet connection, the term UAS is used in regards to service as there is only one connection that has to be made for the complete system. Maybe that will change with sim cards in drones at some point.

Reactions: Barbara
Here's DJI's response:

Reactions: RotorWash
Probably posted elsewhere but as the March 2 deadline is approaching I hope all will comment in the negative to the FAA Remote ID plan which is NOT what the working group specified it should be. Regulations.gov

Reactions: Yossarian

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme