Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Farming of a Different Sort

RotorWash

Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 18, 2019
Loc
P.E.I., Canada
Oyster Leases - Trout River, P.E.I.

We also farm the waters here mainly for oysters by using floating cages or drawers where they are grown from spat to full size which can take up to 4 years. They are kept off the bottom where they would normally be as this allows the shellfish to more easily access food and nutrition in the water column, resulting in increased growth rates. The process also make it easier for growers to clean the oysters and equipment on a regular basis.

It's a lot of work but can be a great way to make a living. Trout River, which is located in western Prince Edward Island, has many working leases (a section of water or land below it legally set aside for a particular fisher). Demand for our oysters is at an all time high and still climbing!

Wind Turbines in the Evening

We not only farm the land and waters here but we do air as well! This wind farm is known as the West Cape Wind Park and is located in western P.E.I. With 55 turbines, this wind farm is the largest on Canada’s Atlantic seaboard. In three years, the wind farm has increased its capacity five-fold, growing from 11 turbines to number 55 today. It is now able to produce 100MW of electricity, or the amount used by approximately 25,000 homes.

Bridge Pass with My Spark

Just trying to have a little fun with a small bridge over a brook in western P.E.I. but the bugs ganged up on me and I had to terminate flight operations asap! :) Hopefully I'll get another crack at it before too long. This pathway is part of the Confederation Trail which is a 435 kilometer recreational rail to trail system running the length of the entire Island. It was developed in the 1990s, following the abandonment of all railway lines in the province by Canadian National Railway. It's open to walkers, joggers and cyclists during the summer months and snowmobiles during the winter.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme