Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

First time drone owner .. looking for guidance

Jason mantell

Join
Jan 21, 2018
I’m sure you all get this a lot, sorry to be “that guy”. About to buy my first drone and I’m 99% sure I’m going with the spark. A buddy told me I may not be able to fly it in my own backyard due to FAA rules? Is this true even at low altitudes just to practice? Anything else I should know/think about before I make this move?

Thanks so much
Location Babylon NY (Long Island)

How close are you to an airport?
If you are in a NFZ (No Fly Zone) you cannot fly at any altitude. Motors will not even start on the AC.

Download the app AirMap and look at your location. You’ll know quickly if you’re in a NFZ. If so, as AeroMirage says, Sparks internals won’t let you lift off.

full

So is this a NFZ? If so, any way to be able to fly even at really low altitudes where I am?

I’d say the Spark won’t liftoff. Put the below query into Google then you can read up on Sparks, Mavics, and Phantoms; Calling the airports, Heliports, etc. Bottom line is there’s so many drones while trying to keep safety topmost and then there’s common sense. Oh, here’s the google query..happy reading.
“can i fly my spark drone within 5 miles of an airport”

I’d say the Spark won’t liftoff. Put the below query into Google then you can read up on Sparks, Mavics, and Phantoms; Calling the airports, Heliports, etc. Bottom line is there’s so many drones while trying to keep safety topmost and then there’s common sense. Oh, here’s the google query..happy reading.
“can i fly my spark drone within 5 miles of an airport”

Thanks, just discovered something else interesting. It appears on the DJI map on their site that I might be OK ... unless I’m mistaken. I’m safely in that green area.

Attachments

• C013F8FA-990E-4A6C-B5A9-BCD0C041A884.png
    C013F8FA-990E-4A6C-B5A9-BCD0C041A884.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 15

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef