Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Float emergency

zerink

Join
Jul 31, 2018
A simple solution to be able to get sparky back in case of water crash.
I bought my spark mostly to do Aerial photo from my boat, but I lost connection once or twice and I was concerned that it could eventually attempt to land on water.

Of course, this kit is only meant for recovery, not for landing on water.

I used 300g of metal to test the buoyancy of the foam then attached it to the arms in a way that the gimbal is moving freely and camera view not altered.

Flight behavior not altered , battery life did not change noticeably.20180731_203112.jpg1532790365762.jpg

It looks like that foam blocks about 40% of area directly below all 4 props. That's a lot of lost lift. Hard to imagine no impact on flight behavior or battery consumption but now there's proof.

You have defied the laws of physics. Congrats to you. Submit a patent. Quickly!
I am not saying it is perfect. But I can fly 10 minutes and as high as before.
With the same manoeuverability. It not that invasive. Most important, is to be able to recover it if it falls.
Two months in now and no bad luck yet

I now see the draw back... The battery only lasts 10 minutes instead of 12-15. I realized that with a long range test, compared to others. I barely made it back at 1.8km where others go as far as 2km with lots of battery remaining. Furthermore, my power indicator is at 60-70% while others are at 30-40% in sport mode full throttle.
So yes, there is an impact on power. But I don't mind shorter rides for the floating insurance exchange.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit