Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Funny (to me) story - first productive use of my new Spark

spiff72

Join
Jul 18, 2018
Loc
West Michigan
Hello all,

Relative newb here, just got my Spark on Friday, and have about 6 flights on it - mostly around my house.

We went out to dinner last night (Sunday), and when we got home i asked if my boys (8 and 10 yo) wanted to go to a local park that I used to fly my helis at, and they got excited, wanting to bring their own drones ($20 quads i got back in February from Amazon - Syma X5C).

I got mine up in the air while they launched theirs. I wasn't really watching them, and my Spark started drifting, and popped up a message that the compass needed calibration. I proceeded to bring it back down and landed it. I then found out that my 10 yo flew his too high and it got carried away into a wooded area. We looked around and couldn't find it. I flew the remainder of my battery and my second battery, and we headed home.

I later loaded up the videos i recorded and noticed that a small white object was visible disappearing into the trees as i was getting my Spark ready for landing. After reviewing the video several times, I was able to get a pretty good idea of where it went down, along with a few landmarks from the park.

We went back to the park tonight, walked to the spot I thought it ended up, and looked up. Sure enough, it was hanging by a prop guard about 30-40 feet up. I then remembered I had my baseball glove and a ball in my trunk, and I spent the next half hour chucking a baseball straight up at that **** thing until it came down. Upon getting it home, we put a fresh battery in it, and it it flew like it was brand new!

So I saved about $25 with a half-hour of work (and a likely sore shoulder tomorrow). The human body was just not made to throw a baseball straight up! My son was disappointed that it had no signs of damage. I think he expected to see some battle scars.

My son was disappointed that it had no signs of damage. I think he expected to see some battle scars.

Yeah, with scars, there's a story to tell.:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast