Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Go 4 Android crashes

Greekislandlover

Join
Feb 4, 2019
Hi,

I know this is an ongoing issue with both Android and Apple. I've been using Litchi mostly because of it. I have used several Android devices and it happens on all of them. Currently I'm using a Huawei T5 10 tablet with a good OTG cable between tablet and controller. I've not had one single instance of Litchi simply stopping.

What I've been experiencing is Spark in flight, 30 seconds or so later the app just stops - leaving Spark hanging there. It happened over water two days ago. OK, you can start the app, it will connect OK then bring him home, and I suppose RTH would kick in. But that is a) very worrying at the time and b) ruins your photography.

I want to use the official app - especially as I'm planning to buy a Mavic 2 zoom soon and use the extra modes. However, I simply don''t trust Go 4. Fine when it's working - just doesn't work reliably. I've read on the forums about reinstalling, cache cleaning etc. I've stopped it recording to the cache as I can get the footage off the drone later. I've got the latest software and firmware installed. Buying into the Apple ecosystem isn't an option, and it seems Apple users have the same issue anyway. Any solutions to this problem?

I don't think it's a common issue.

Your problem has to do with your setup.
I have used several devices (iOS and Android), with several DJI drones.
Never had THIS problem.

As I understand you fly without a controller (device only).

Try setting your tablet in airplane mode, kill every other app running, and check your free memory.

Also, you should upgrade, to a controller soon.

Reactions: nilanjan118
I don't think it's a common issue.

Your problem has to do with your setup.
I have used several devices (iOS and Android), with several DJI drones.
Never had THIS problem.

As I understand you fly without a controller (device only).

Try setting your tablet in airplane mode, kill every other app running, and check your free memory.

Also, you should upgrade, to a controller soon.

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I do use the controller all the time, and use a good OTG cable to connect it to the tablet.

I do wonder if it's to do with the wifi though. I use my phone as a wifi hotspot to get the local map from the internet as the tablet has no phone facility. So it might help if once the map was loaded I put the phone AND tablet into airplane mode with the only connection being the controller to drone?

I am quite surprised that you say Litchi works in a more stable manner for you as compared to Go4. My experience with Litchi is completely the opposite. Although it offers additional features than Go4 for the Spark, I have experienced a couple of disconnects and app crashes in a very short period of using Litchi. Also I have found that the live video feed with Go4 is much smoother as compared to the one with Litchi.

Hi, and thanks for the reply. I do use the controller all the time, and use a good OTG cable to connect it to the tablet.

I do wonder if it's to do with the wifi though. I use my phone as a wifi hotspot to get the local map from the internet as the tablet has no phone facility. So it might help if once the map was loaded I put the phone AND tablet into airplane mode with the only connection being the controller to drone?
Ok, then you can turn every signal off, on your device.
Try your configuration, without hotspot and maps.

Note, that you can pre-load maps, when at home, using WiFi as usual, without turning on spark, using go4 app only.

Bit of feedback on this. I went out tonight and did some filming with Go 4 with both the tablet and phone in airplane mode once the map had loaded and I didn't get any drop outs. Seems that might be the problem :)

Lets do some science on this people.

1) Install an app that tells you how much free RAM your phone / tablet has (in the notifications bar)
2) Set up your phone however you want - airplane mode, all other apps closed, etc - but note down the free RAM at this point
3) Start DJI Go 4 and operate the Spark - note free RAM now - and note if there any crashes (to the app!)
4) Subtract (3) from (4) and post here on your conclusions about how much RAM the DJI app needs to fly the Spark

If the crashes occur when users are running with almost no free RAM, well no surprise. If the crashes happen even when users clearly have enough RAM, then we are looking at you DJI to fix a fight safety issue with your software.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast