Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Help with cutting foam in case

RoccoT312

Join
Jul 2, 2017
Hello everyone[emoji112] just bought this case for my vacation to mexico. I wanted something harder and that could hold all my accessories that are in my dji fly more bag plus my power brick and charging hub which I normally don't carry with me. But i do love my dji bag.
The hard case is from hermitshell, a great maker of cases for all types of different things. This is my third case from them. All my accessories fit in the case perfectly and it looks awesome, but the only problem is that it is extremely difficult to remove the actual drone from the case because it sits deep in the foam. which is good thing, but it needs to have some foam removed to make two finger holes to remove the Drone. How can I do this as to make it look original and smooth, and not like a rat gnawed it out. The only way I can get it out is to pull it up from the motors and that's not going to fly with me

20180119_235312.jpg20180119_235050.jpg20180119_235105.jpg20180119_235150.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sparky markie
Hello everyone[emoji112] just bought this case for my vacation to mexico. I wanted something harder and that could hold all my accessories that are in my dji fly more bag plus my power brick and charging hub which I normally don't carry with me. But i do love my dji bag.
The hard case is from hermitshell, a great maker of cases for all types of different things. This is my third case from them. All my accessories fit in the case perfectly and it looks awesome, but the only problem is that it is extremely difficult to remove the actual drone from the case because it sits deep in the foam. which is good thing, but it needs to have some foam removed to make two finger holes to remove the Drone. How can I do this as to make it look original and smooth, and not like a rat gnawed it out. The only way I can get it out is to pull it up from the motors and that's not going to fly with me

View attachment 2921View attachment 2924View attachment 2925View attachment 2926

They make foam cutting tools like this Hot wire Tool.

Maybe a piece of coat hanger heated up with a torch or gas stove would do the same thing and burn (cut) the foam out.

An X-acto knife with the break away blades to give you depth cutting may work as well.

How about taking a piece of black ribbon about i/2" wide by about 5" long and lay the ribbon across the opening in the middle of where the drone will sit. When you put the drone in the ribbon will sit under it with the two ends of the ribbon outside the foam on each side of the drone. When you want to take the drone out, you just grab the two ends and pull straight up. The drone will come out of its snug fit foam holder easily. Trim the ribbon to the right length and it will barely be noticeable.

If you have a drill press and can remove the foam to secure it, a hole saw will make the cleanest half circle cut outs for your finger grab locations. Some guys use sharpened pieces of copper pipe like this, but I find it's a little more difficult to make half circles this way and keep the cut straight.

Last edited:
Maybe a piece of coat hanger heated up with a torch or gas stove would do the same thing and burn (cut) the foam out.
I've done this before, not for my Spark, but it definitely works. Just be sure to wear some thick gloves as the entire hanger will get pretty hot.

With soft foam I've had good luck using an electric carving knife......the kind with two back and forth blades. The foam doesnt bunch up and its easy to control depth.

Jake

So yesterday after reading post #2 from spark 317 I used an wire hanger heated over the stove and that didnt really work so I had to finish what I started and got the rest out with a box cutter. The result is that it works and I can get the drone out easily. I now have two finger holes but it isn't as neatly cut as I would have liked it to have been... I wish @PaulsSpark104 would posted before I did this because that would of work perfectly with no destruction. But in the end I can live with it, it works and really I'm the only one who really see it.

Also the foam isn't like regular styrofoam or other types of foam that I've seen in other cases. It's super dense and thick which is good but super hard to cut20180121_191411.jpg20180121_191422.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manzoorsp67