Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

HR 302 (US)

FLYBOYJ

Join
Jan 8, 2018
This bill is on its way to become law. I've glanced through it but from what I've read hobbyists will have to pass a safety test, get authorization before flying in controlled airspace next to airports and will be altitude limited to 400' in class G airspace. (section 349)

This bill is on its way to become law. I've glanced through it but from what I've read hobbyists will have to pass a safety test, get authorization before flying in controlled airspace next to airports and will be altitude limited to 400' in class G airspace. (section 349)
Just read that part myself. Thanks for the info regarding such.

Reactions: FLYBOYJ
You can pass a safety test and still fly carelessly. Those who are careless, its in their genetic makeup.

You can pass a safety test and still fly carelessly. Those who are careless, its in their genetic makeup.

I certainly wasn't suggesting a simple test would eliminate all reckless pilots.

I was merely welcoming any efforts made to enhance the public image of drone pilots by encouraging safe flying habits.

That's very true, but it would force people to be a little more educated before flying for the first time. I myself had over 30 flights before I even realized I was required to register with FAA, and I didn't know the basic rules for flying during those 30 flights. I actually was very safe (for fear of crashing my drone) , but how many aren't? Especially those who live in large cities seem to be the biggest offenders often.

I certainly wasn't suggesting a simple test would eliminate all reckless pilots.

I was merely welcoming any efforts made to enhance the public image of drone pilots by encouraging safe flying habits.
I know. Just posting my thoughts on it. Thanks for posting it.

Except for the safety test , isn't the 400 ft and the authorization in controlled airspace already rules?

Except for the safety test , isn't the 400 ft and the authorization in controlled airspace already rules?

Not if you're flying as a hobbyist. Under FAR 101.41

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

There is nothing in the FARs that specifically limits your altitude, however you could be considered a "hazard" if you enter controlled airspace without authorization. The 400' "recommendation" is meant to separate sUAV traffic from the lowest operating altitude airplanes and helicopter can potentially operate from.

As far as airspace authorization - read 101.41(e). These's nothing that says you could be denied operation. If this bill passes (and I believe it will) you need authorization to fly in class B, C, D and E airspace within an airport operation zone.

Not if you're flying as a hobbyist. Under FAR 101.41

(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;

(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;

(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;

(d) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and

(e) When flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation.

There is nothing in the FARs that specifically limits your altitude, however you could be considered a "hazard" if you enter controlled airspace without authorization. The 400' "recommendation" is meant to separate sUAV traffic from the lowest operating altitude airplanes and helicopter can potentially operate from.

As far as airspace authorization - read 101.41(e). These's nothing that says you could be denied operation. If this bill passes (and I believe it will) you need authorization to fly in class B, C, D and E airspace within an airport operation zone.
It does say if within 5 miles of an airport you are suppose to let the tower know you intentions. They can deny access to fly. Not that buy the law you talking that you have to but if they deny me I'm going to use some common sense and do what they ask. They know whats in the area and you don't. Everything you read says to stay under 400 ft. I am not going to risk hitting a plane.
A lot of the problems with drones now, is the people that want to push rules. Common sense goes along way.

It does say if within 5 miles of an airport you are suppose to let the tower know you intentions. They can deny access to fly.

The FAR (in it's current form) doesn't say ANYTHING about denying access - that statement is wrong.

Not that buy the law you talking that you have to but if they deny me I'm going to use some common sense and do what they ask. They know whats in the area and you don't. Everything you read says to stay under 400 ft. I am not going to risk hitting a plane.
A lot of the problems with drones now, is the people that want to push rules. Common sense goes along way.
Eddie you're right about common sense but the way the FARs are written right now there is nothing prohibiting a hobbyist from flying over 400'. Now if you cause an incident, you could be violated IAW FAR 101.43.

Again, if this bill is signed into law, it will codify future Federal Aviation Regulation that will make it mandatory for hobbyists to remain below 400' in class G airspace and hobbyists with then need authorization to fly in B, C, D and E airspace.

This is exactly what this bill says with regards to hobbyists;

44809. Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned aircraft

(a) IN GENERAL.—Except as provided in subsection (e), and notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the operation adheres to all of the following limitations:

(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

(2) The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

(3) The aircraft is flown within the visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft or a visual observer co-located and in direct communication with the operator.

(4) The aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft.

(5) In Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport, the operator obtains prior authorization from the Administrator or designee before operating and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

(6) In Class G airspace, the aircraft is flown from the surface to not more than 400 feet above ground level and complies with all airspace restrictions and prohibitions.

(7) The operator has passed an aeronautical knowledge and safety test described in subsection (g) and maintains proof of test passage to be made available to the Administrator or law enforcement upon request.

That's very true, but it would force people to be a little more educated before flying for the first time. I myself had over 30 flights before I even realized I was required to register with FAA, and I didn't know the basic rules for flying during those 30 flights. I actually was very safe (for fear of crashing my drone) , but how many aren't? Especially those who live in large cities seem to be the biggest offenders often.

Keep in mind, that a "passing a safety test" requirement can just as easily be overlooked and/or ignored. Having such a certification as a pre-requisite to purchasing a UAV will likely follow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast