Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Leaving for Cabo on Saturday...not sure if I should take ol' Sparky with me.

ol' Sparky

Join
Mar 10, 2019
We're off for 10 days and really want to take my bird. Worried about registering to fly in Mexico. Can't fly unless your drone is registered, but can't register unless your a native Mexican (from what I understand). I'm not talking about a permit...just registering with the Mexican version of the FAA. I know US doesn't, but can't find if Canada has some sort of reciprocal agreement with Mexico to recognize each others' pilot licenses. Will take my receipt in case customs wants to tax it (what EVER). Any advice or experiences you can share would be appreciated. Thanx! :)

No experiencia at all, bit if i were you ill take it with me. If you have the receipt the worst thing that could happen is that they won’t allow you to fly it; on the other hand Mexicans are very cool people. I’m pretty sure that with a Spark one can talk yourself out of trouble. I always say it is a kids toy. I truly believe one should bring the spark everywhere. It’s part of the family. Safe flights!

I spent a week whitewater paddling in Mexico, last winter. One of the people in our group had his Mavic. He flew a lot...no issues while flying or entering the country. The shots he got were amazing. Take your drone...you’ll regret it if you don’t.

Reactions: Mandruka
Took Ol' Sparky with me. Was nervous at customs watching everybody push the button. I was 3 away before the lady at the front pushed a red and she was pulled aside for inspection. Sailed right through no questions asked. Woke up at dawn and watched the sunrise and sent er out over the water for some shots. The security guard said I was ok to fly, but I went off the resort and sat on the beach. Early morning was less crowded, but did attract some attention from the hotel beach cleaners, so I flew it in and took a couple selfies with them. Did get applause from a couple watching from their balcony when I brought her in for a battery change and landed it on a little table beside me. Last day, after I used up 4 batteries shooting beach and hotel shots, another security guard leaned over the railing and gave me the "No Drones" finger wag. I could have given him attitude...I was on public beach flying over the water, but all my batteries were dead and i was packing up. Followed him back to the resort and had a talk with him and his supervisor. Basically came down to no flying over the resort. people don't like it, just keep it over the water.....which I was doing anyway, so not sure why the scolding. Seems odd that people on the resort were taking pictures and videos everywhere you looked, but put your camera 100 feet in the air and everyone gets paranoid. Did set a personal distance record trying to fly out to Lovers Beach (5356 feet), but lost signal and she came home all by herself. Had no issues going through security until the layover in Calgary. Told the agent I had a drone and she made me take it out to inspect. Surprisingly, the young lady said she had a Mavic Pro and loved it. We had a short chat about drones and we went on our way. So glad I took it...still nervous about what would have happened if Mexican customs found it. if you take yours, make sure you are prepared for customs with your purchase receipt (just in case) and learn the local laws. No night flying, don't fly over people, don't be an idiot and respect the locals. Here's a link to a short video I put together

Reactions: Spark 317
. Last day, after I used up 4 batteries shooting beach and hotel shots, another security guard leaned over the railing and gave me the "No Drones" finger wag. I could have given him attitude...I was on public beach flying over the water, but all my batteries were dead and i was packing up. Followed him back to the resort and had a talk with him and his supervisor. Basically came down to no flying over the resort. people don't like it, just keep it over the water.....which I was doing anyway, so not sure why the scolding.

Nice little clip. :)

I worked as a security officer in some very nice buildings a long time ago and being a "dick" ( slang term for private detective, which security is licenced for) is part of the job.

I'm sure he didn't mean any offense and was just doing his low paid security job at a mega resort trying to keep the masses in line with the rules.

Nice little clip. :)

I worked as a security officer in some very nice buildings a long time ago and being a "dick" ( slang term for private detective, which security is licenced for) is part of the job.

I'm sure he didn't mean any offense and was just doing his low paid security job at a mega resort trying to keep the masses in line with the rules.
Thanx! Yeah...that's why I didn't give him attitude. Respect the locals. Went and talked with him and his supervisor and everybody was happy and playing from the same page. Turns out we're both "Ricardo"s and I got to fly over the water(which I was doing anyway :p ). Weather was never really conducive after that. Was either too windy or outright raining. Didn't fly again the rest of the trip.

Reactions: Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers