Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Lens hood

Kevmiller1488

Join
May 8, 2019
Loc
Wisconsin
I purchased a lower end 5 piece accessory pack that included a lens hood to use during flight. Any comments or opinions from people who have used one of these?

Attachments

• B5B7C400-2B87-42F7-A73A-CC8BDBD684EE.jpeg
    B5B7C400-2B87-42F7-A73A-CC8BDBD684EE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Kevmiller1488.

I don't have one of those, but I do have the gimbal protector when storing the Spark.

Depending on the manufacturer, members have reported no problems, where as some say it interferes with the gimbal movement, especially during pano shots.

The benefits may be reducing sun glare and protection of the camera should something happen.

Welcome to the Forum. ?

Reactions: Kevmiller1488
I've used that hood with good results. It blocks lens flare from ruining images. And it provides some gimbal protection in a minor collision.

Only one issue in a specific setup..

The combination of ND filters (weight) + sun hood (focused turbulent air) + Sport Mode (speed) can lead to "Gimbal Overload Errors".

Only happens when I'm in Sport Mode. Only happens with cheaper filters and not my Polar Pro beauties. It can happen with hood off but with hood on it happens every time.

These can be cleared only by landing and power cycling drone. Harmless once in a while but overtime may cause damage to gimbal?

Don't use in sport mode. The angle of attack is greater and the camera touches the sun guard that could damage your gimbal. I only use for slow and /or cinematic shooting.

Reactions: Kevmiller1488
Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Kevmiller1488.

I don't have one of those, but I do have the gimbal protector when storing the Spark.

Depending on the manufacturer, members have reported no problems, where as some say it interferes with the gimbal movement, especially during pano shots.

The benefits may be reducing sun glare and protection of the camera should something happen.

Welcome to the Forum. ?
Thank you!

Reactions: Spark 317
I have one and have used it without any issues, except for taking 360 degree pano. The camera tilts upwards a bit more than usual when taking pano's which results in the hood being visible on the photo. You also see the hood in the video feed when flying forward in sport mode.

I recently had a crash which resulted in the camera lens being cracked. I am almost certain that this could have been avoided if I had the hood installed during that specific flight... Will be using it all the time from now on and only take it off for 360 pano's.

Reactions: Andre Levite

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers