Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Most Popular Drone for Business use?

John.H

Join
Dec 10, 2017
Loc
Flower Mound, Tx
Checking into a Part 107 License this year. Though I'm learning to fly with my Spark, I'm curious. What is the most popular drone to use for someone that would like to get in business?
John H.

What is the most popular drone to use for someone that would like to get in business?
What kind of business is this person getting into?

My first thought would be real estate. Inside and out along with property.

Home / roof inspections. (Chimneys)

It's too much for the Spark but the larger drones can fly along remote power lines for inspection.

If you need a ladder or a magic carpet to get to an area not easily seen, then the Spark may do the job.

Aerial photographer for hire would cover all areas.

Most popular for business use would be a battle between the Phantom and Inspire series.

The spark is too small and low on flight time to be used in business class. I mean you could but at 1080p the resolution is pretty low. Plus the lack of tablet use in the controller, reduced flight time, and range.

I have yet to see a spark show up to any film sessions, the phantom 4 pro is giving the inspire 1 and 2 a run for their money. But pros still use the Inspire series as they are larger birds and more professional looking.

Personally I would use a phantom 4 pro all around
- easy to launch/hand catch
- 30 min flight time
- 20mp camera
- many accessories
- not too large, not too small
- many controller options

The spark is our toy for filming around the house and gf uses it for selfies. Its also a great started drone to get the feel of flying, nice drone starer cost and batteries are very affordable.

When you say "...larger birds and more professional looking". You are referring to the image or video quality and NOT the drone itself?

But that is correct, from what I've seen the vast majority of "Pilots for Hire" use Phantoms or Inspires. There are a few that use the more expensive DJI drones, but its not the norm with my peers. A couple useful things that Inspire allows is the ability to switch out cameras depending on what you are doing and the need. There are even IR cameras for the Inspire. The second thing is the ability to have one person fly the drone and the other move/use the camera.

My friends with that do freelance work have more than one drone including some non-dji drones.

Most popular for business use would be a battle between the Phantom and Inspire series.

The spark is too small and low on flight time to be used in business class. I mean you could but at 1080p the resolution is pretty low. Plus the lack of tablet use in the controller, reduced flight time, and range.

I have yet to see a spark show up to any film sessions, the phantom 4 pro is giving the inspire 1 and 2 a run for their money. But pros still use the Inspire series as they are larger birds and more professional looking.

Personally I would use a phantom 4 pro all around
- easy to launch/hand catch
- 30 min flight time
- 20mp camera
- many accessories
- not too large, not too small
- many controller options

The spark is our toy for filming around the house and gf uses it for selfies. Its also a great started drone to get the feel of flying, nice drone starer cost and batteries are very affordable.

I use a Matrice and occasionally an Inspire for my business. However, I’m not a film maker, I’m an agricultural and environmental consultant, so my customers needs are very different.

Reactions: Sparkbart
When you say "...larger birds and more professional looking". You are referring to the image or video quality and NOT the drone itself?

But that is correct, from what I've seen the vast majority of "Pilots for Hire" use Phantoms or Inspires. There are a few that use the more expensive DJI drones, but its not the norm with my peers. A couple useful things that Inspire allows is the ability to switch out cameras depending on what you are doing and the need. There are even IR cameras for the Inspire. The second thing is the ability to have one person fly the drone and the other move/use the camera.

My friends with that do freelance work have more than one drone including some non-dji drones.

Both size and quality.

The larger the bird the better the image usually. Also more camera options.

Plus when people show up for a job with a toy drone they will get toy rates.

If it’s for personal use, use your favourite lol. Question was referring to business use drones. Usually that question is for pay for hire.

Your assumptions aren't necessarily true. You either didn't read my response in its entirety as I mention that some drones like the Inspire allows one to change the camera out depending on the job... Also if you have your Part 107, you have quite a bit to learn about how to sell yourself and business. Showing up with a big expensive drone isn't what's going to get you business.

Also Drone size does not directly correlate to image quality or drone capability.

While I'm working on my Part 107 and business, my buddy has his Part 107 and also has a variety of drones. I often assist him on bigger jobs. He isn't hired because he has a Matrice 600 Pro or an Inspire. He's hired because of the work he produces. His clients couldn't care less if he used a Spark or Matrice, what matters to them is what the product (pictures, videos, or a finished product ready to be posted) looks like. There have been several times the client wasn't even on site, and other situations where the client chatted with us then continued about their business, too busy to watch us work. So only some occasions has the client stuck around to watch us do our work...

Both size and quality.

The larger the bird the better the image usually. Also more camera options.

Plus when people show up for a job with a toy drone they will get toy rates.

If it’s for personal use, use your favourite lol. Question was referring to business use drones. Usually that question is for pay for hire.

Your assumptions aren't necessarily true. You either didn't read my response in its entirety as I mention that some drones like the Inspire allows one to change the camera out depending on the job... Also if you have your Part 107, you have quite a bit to learn about how to sell yourself and business. Showing up with a big expensive drone isn't what's going to get you business.

Also Drone size does not directly correlate to image quality or drone capability.

While I'm working on my Part 107 and business, my buddy has his Part 107 and also has a variety of drones. I often assist him on bigger jobs. He isn't hired because he has a Matrice 600 Pro or an Inspire. He's hired because of the work he produces. His clients couldn't care less if he used a Spark or Matrice, what matters to them is what the product (pictures, videos, or a finished product ready to be posted) looks like. There have been several times the client wasn't even on site, and other situations where the client chatted with us then continued about their business, too busy to watch us work. So only some occasions has the client stuck around to watch us do our work...
You are mostly right. There is still the idea that big eauals professional.

I used to shoot wedding videos. It was at a time when digital video was just starting to get hold, and so people were transitioning to DV cameras. Prior to that was analog video cameras, usually SVHS. It doesnt take an expert to see the difference in quality from analog to digital. As a result, my first digital camera to do work with was a small MiniDV Handycam. Sony used to still put manual controls on their consumer products so I could still get a very good picture, better than my VHS by far. Edit in digital, zero quality loss, output to DVD and wow.

Well, when someone hires you for your results, and you show up with a Handycam, people wonder. Their uncle Steve who likes gadgets has the same one. Rich uncle Fred has a better one (and he will tell you so).

So, sure, you can do pro stuff with a Spark. Or a Mavic Air. But if nephew Johnny has the same thing, expect some conflict. Personally, I wouldn't do work with anything less than a Mavic Pro, preferably a Phantom 4 Pro. You WANT and NEED manual features (exposure, ISO, resolution). Advertising you can do 4k even if the output wont be is an asset.

Just saying.

Reactions: Sparkbart
Oh, pro tip: if shooting with a small anything, dont get flashy colours. White Spark, black Mavic Air, etc. Black is more pro for some reason. Unless Canon L glass.

Checking into a Part 107 License this year. Though I'm learning to fly with my Spark, I'm curious. What is the most popular drone to use for someone that would like to get in business?
John H.
You can make a lot of money doing weddings as well as high school athletic recruiting videos for prospects. Baseball parents pay the most!!

I'm assuming you've done "sports" video or photography with your drone? I'm curious what kind of imagery did you get or shoot. Curious as I've not been involved in that type of AP and it may be something I'd be interested in when I get my Part 107 done. In my mind I would think it would be hard to get good pics without the drone being either too far away or becoming a distraction to the players.

Also curious how you handle the "flying over non-participants", in reference to the Part 107 regarding flying over people who are not participating in the operation. Yes I get the definition is nebulous, but if someone on either team refuses to be video'd or photo'ed. How do you handle that?

You can make a lot of money doing weddings as well as high school athletic recruiting videos for prospects. Baseball parents pay the most!!

Just some advice for anyone going into photo/video business:

Study contract law, and look up how some photographers have gotten royally screwed by customers. Never assume the customer will be understanding.

Seriously, just do a google search for "photographer sued", there are too many reports to count.

Some tips:

-explicitly define what your photo/video package will contain. Number of photos, number of copies, prints/burns, etc. If the client asks for more, bill accordingly.

-specify a timeline for delivery of the first draft, and time for each edit. Ie: wedding video will be delivered in a month, re-edits take a week each. This is good customer service, but also sets expectations. If the client thinks the video will be ready after a week, they may get angry.

-maximum number of re-edits, and fees for additional. If you make a video, show the client the best you can do first. They may have some requests for chabges, but they are not the expert, YOU are, that's why they hired you. Some clients will demand tiny tweak after tiny tweak, endlessly. The longer you spend doing the work, the less you are getting paid. Keep in mind many laypeople think digital means "click a button in Photoshop and it is fixed instantly". No, things take time to do right.

-for drone work, specify that it is contingent on local laws and weather. Obviously check for NFZ at the location before agreeing to anything, but TFRs and high wind isnt your fault. You should have alternate plans in the contract, such as an alternative date, or alternative service (ie: ground based video), or a refund.

-NEVER EVER EVER EVER show your raw footage!!!!!! Again, look up the cases where a photographer delivered on a wedding package, great photos, but also included the unedited digital negatives, including photos that didn't make the grade. Ended up getting sued for taking "unflattering photos". You are taking so many photos/minutes of video, there WILL be a few bad, maybe embarrassing ones. Dont release those. If they aren't good for public release, delete them even.

-most important: DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR COPYRIGHT. The images are yours, and you are licensing them to the client. Sure, tell the wedding couple they can do what they want with the photos, copy, share, etc, but you don't want to lose control of them. If you give up copyright, then they could then give that away. Next thing you know, YOUR photos are being displayed as someone else's work, to build THEIR business. Plus, you want to be able to use this work in your portfolio.

Now keep in mind, all of this is to protect you, and to keep you in control. There is nothing stopping you from delivering in a week instead of a month, or giving them 40 photos instead of the agreed 25. Also, don't let it discourage you, go for it! Just do so with your eyes open. If this is your first foray into this work, I strongly encourage you to over-deliver. Discount prices, or extras where you can. It helps build your rep, and happy clients are the best guarantee for more work.

Best of luck!

PS: Weddings are f**in nightmares to deliver on. For some reason, despite all the stress, the problems, the mistake that the wedding couple will have that day (and you will capture on video), they will for some strange reason remember and believe the day was as perfect and flawless as any Royal wedding. They will expect the video to reflect what's in their mind, not what really happened. There is no such thing as a flawless and perfect wedding.

Except mine. And there is no video to prove me wrong :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast