Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

My first cinematic effort

Medley

Join
May 13, 2019
I’ve had my Spark for about a month now; I love the little bird. This video is a compilation of clips from my home area; I took about 2.5 hours of footage and reduced it down to this 7 minute video. I’m sharing it off of my Onedirve rather than YouTube, so depending on your internet speed you might get some stalls or artifacts while streaming; you may be able to download it if so and you want the full HD experience. It’s 1.25GB in size.

Enjoy
Durham Spring.mp4

Last edited:
So I am downloading it now, becuase the viewer in OneDrive is pixlelating the video, I have a fast connection. Will watch offline! Looks very nice. Which Durham is this (where in the world)?
I live in Durham Region, Ontario (Oshawa, Whitby, etc). Video was shot at Port of Whitby and a couple conservation areas nearby. I live in Whitby.

Truthfully, the reason I haven’t posted it to YT et al is because the soundtrack I used isn’t licensed. I’m aware of the options out there, but I haven’t found anything I like yet.

You’ll notice that there is the occasional jitter with a couple horizontal pans. That’s a result of the electronic image stabilization on the yaw that couldn’t handle a couple of really windy gusts that occurred (on the order of 30+ Kmh, I would guess).

Well, that was a great video, especially like the swans, the collapsed bridge and the music. Well done.
Thanks for the kind words. Helps to have good subjects to shoot. I could have gotten a lot closer to the Trumpeter Swans but didn’t wan’t to distress them with the little ones.

Cheers.

Ah, we are neighbours to some extent... I work in the GTA, but live north of Algonquin Park (on weekends). I was just out scouting some locations along the waterfront in Burlington and west Oakville, pretty hard to find places where you wont bother anyone unless you are up really early.

Ah, we are neighbours to some extent... I work in the GTA, but live north of Algonquin Park (on weekends). I was just out scouting some locations along the waterfront in Burlington and west Oakville, pretty hard to find places where you wont bother anyone unless you are up really early.
I generally try to be at a location by about 8AM to avoid too many people. It would be nice to be able to shoot in the evening, but unfortunately people hang around for the golden hour frequently.

I work in the GTA as well, but stay put in Whitby on the weekends generally.

What a fantastic video. You have a great sense of cinematography. Your framing and shooting was impeccable. I wonder why you are not uploading this to YouTube. You should start a channel asap. And by the way, are you aware of the DJI points system in their official forum? They award users who post in the forum with points and if the content is good enough, they tag it as DIGEST. Your video surely looks like DIGEST material to me. Please make sure it reaches more viewers. Good luck and keep it up.

Wow that’s how to do it and many of us who have been flying and shooting for a year or more would be very proud to have produced this. Better flyers than I have said it all above but fantastic. Am I the only guy who, from Bristol England, spotted a red winged blackbird fluttering the rushes. A beautiful bird and together with the Canada geese made the clip even more enjoyable.

Thanks once again for the kind words, all. I have been a photographer for many, many years and also flew RC planes for a number of years, and I think these two skills have helped me get a bit of a head start.
Once I find a good source for the kind of backtracks I like, I’ll license them and publish to YouTube, Vimeo or wherever.
Re the red winged blackbird: when I was shooting that session (scene with a slow approach to a dead, gnarly tree) two redwings came out and sort of attacked my Spark. I’m assuming they were nesting and didn’t like this noisy stranger in their territory. Fortunately they didn’t strike it, or it may have gone down into the marsh. In that clip, I actually caught a flash of black wing feathers in the upper right of the frame ?

Enjoy!

Reactions: twickers14

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex