Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New FAA Ban on Lithium Batteries --NOT!!!

Andre Levite

WELL-TRUSTED MEMBER
Premium Pilot
Join
Jun 18, 2018
Loc
Treasure Coast of Florida
Web
how-to-spark.com
Hopefully I'm posting this BEFORE any misinformation can be spread...

FACT: FAA just announced new rules regarding transport of lithium batteries on commerical airliners

FACT: new rules will apply to passengers but only regarding luggage checked into cargo hold

FACT: The new rules will not change what batteries can be transported as carry on items

This change will mean items such as laptops cannot be routinely put on checked luggage but instead carried in the passenger compartment. The rules are not yet finalized so the details are subject to change. Example: they may make exceptions for batteries discharged to a certain level go in cargo area.

Feds to Ban Batteries in Checked Bags (Chicago Tribune) *link updated

Last edited:
Reactions: msinger
Also be sure to check with the airline re: their rules. Most are accomodating. When I fly I add individual fireproof battery bags around each battery and always use terminal covers. Could also save your drone. Cheap by comparison.

Also be sure to check with the airline re: their rules. Most are accomodating. When I fly I add individual fireproof battery bags around each battery and always use terminal covers. Could also save your drone. Cheap by comparison.

For clarification...

The new rules set forth by the FAA and DOT override the less stringent rules of the airlines. The airlines will have no choice but to comply by making their rules stricter.

All lithium batteries are banned from the cargo hold of commercial passenger flights. This is the new standard regardless of what type of fireproof bag you use -- must be carried on. DOT report cited 4 accidents with deaths so they are taking this mandate seriously.

Reactions: Tom Bennett
For clarification...

The new rules set forth by the FAA and DOT override the less stringent rules of the airlines. The airlines will have no choice but to comply by making their rules stricter.

All lithium batteries are banned from the cargo hold of commercial passenger flights. This is the new standard regardless of what type of fireproof bag you use -- must be carried on. DOT report cited 4 accidents with deaths so they are taking this mandate seriously.
Yes! I forgot to mention that I CARRY-on. Not only the law but don’t want baggage handlers throwing my drone (literally) on to conveyors, etc.

Interesting and really helpful thanks. I find it strange that the FAA don’t email all of us who have registered with this new regulation. They’ve got our details.

Yes! I forgot to mention that I CARRY-on. Not only the law but don’t want baggage handlers throwing my drone (literally) on to conveyors, etc.

Further clarification...

Neither the original FAA regulations or the updates state the the drone must be carried in the passenger compartment. The rules only apply to the batteries themselves.

It is perfectly acceptable to have drone in the cargo hold or passenger area. Regardless of where the drone is transported you are required to remove the batteries to eliminate risk of unintended activation.

Lots of people post on the forum what they have gotten away with in past but it's becoming clear that both FAA and airlines are stepping up enforcement.

Reactions: Tom Bennett
You read that on the FAA's website? If so, got commuters or the
You read that on the FAA's website? If so, got a link?

There is a completely separate set of FAA regulations for commercial flights that are cargo only (non-passenger). Unfortunately several media outlets are reporting these in the same stories (and even the same paragraphs) which has led to confusion.

The 30% charge level for lithium batteries exists but it is aimed at bulk shipments of electronics and does not effect commuters or their carry on devices.

If you read the last section it will have no effect on users having the batteries on board a passenger flight as I read it.

Two sets of rules: one for passengers on commercial airlines; another set for cargo only flights.

Posts like the his screenshot from Twitter are mashing them together and making a confusing mess of some very simple regulations.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef