Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

New Pilot Tip – the Flight Pause Button

RotorWash

Premium Pilot
Join
Jul 18, 2019
Loc
P.E.I., Canada
I've noticed a number of new Spark pilots come onboard so I just wanted to throw this tip out there, if you're new to the Spark or DJI in general like I was not long ago. There's a helpful button on the controller (if you have one, I hope) that's really worthwhile getting familiar with, it's called the "flight pause button". Basically, if you see the drone doing something you're uncomfortable with, press the flight pause button and the Spark should "knock it off" and come to an immediate stop whether the craft is in an intelligent flight mode or any other mode including sport. Provided there isn't some serious malfunction involved.

It’s most useful when you're new to all the features DJI offers us as it's easy to get overwhelmed with all the drone is doing while it responds to your commands with the minute guidance of GPS + taking video/pics + all the different modes and presets such ActiveTrack, RTH or obstacle avoidance, etc. On top of that you are watching telemetry as well as most importantly the area around your craft so it’s easy to overwhelm the senses especially when you’re new to the system.

So when something seems like it’s going south it's nice to have a red button to push instead of having to process another solution tout suite. I recommend using it time to time even when all is ok just to keep your finger familiar with the location. Then when the time comes and it will, you won't have to remember a thing, just react.

Good demonstration presented here:

One of my very first mishaps with the Spark could have been avoided if I knew the use of the PAUSE button.
I was active tracking my friend in a parking lot and wanted to get a cinematic shot of the drone circling around him. I realised I had miscalculated the radius when the Spark hit the railing of a balcony first and before I could react, it smashed into a closed window. Quite surprisingly though, the Spark still kept flying and I could land it safely. I only lost one of the front LED covers which I later ordered from Amazon. Here's the video of the incident.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast